Too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atreyu917

Juvie Member
I recently just adopted a dragon and then got my smaller dragon in a 40 gallon breeder. The adoptee didn't have correct lighting or temps at all. So needless to say I have had to buy a lot of lighting and fixtures. My males cage has 1 75 sun glow on it and 1 75 tight beam basking bulb on it. His basking spot tops out at 98 most of the time. (I upped it a little bit hoping to get him not to go into burmation, not working btw).
So that's just about perfect.

Now, I bought Yoshi the 8.5 fluker's clamp lamp and put the 150 watt tight beam basking bulb in it (which is the max allowed). The light sticks out from the bottom so when I put it down it actually sits on the bulb. UGH. I can't seem to get my cages settled and right! So I clamped it on her cage, and tested the temp....it's 112 F at the closet to the light she can get. Too hot isn't it? she doesn't sit in that spot, but sits an inch or 2 further down the branch. The cool side is 80.

My question is, should i return the 150 for a 100 watt or is this ok? It just sucks cause I ordered it off petmountain.com. But I suppose I could return it to petco or petsmart for a credit w/o a receipt haha.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I think your temps are fine, but someone else may want to chime in. I'm pretty sure that's ok. They thermo-regulate, so if she/he gets too hot, he will just move...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I do have a question. The basking light you are using is a Sun Glo & then you are using another basking bulb? Do you have a UVB light in there anywhere?
The 112 should not be a problem, but I would not go any higher than that. As long as you have areas that are cooler, she should move. Make sure she can't get too close to the lights.

Tracie

atreyu917

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":de986 said:
Hello,

I do have a question. The basking light you are using is a Sun Glo & then you are using another basking bulb? Do you have a UVB light in there anywhere?
The 112 should not be a problem, but I would not go any higher than that. As long as you have areas that are cooler, she should move. Make sure she can't get too close to the lights.

Tracie

She is about 5 inches away from the lights.

Well the reason I have 2 heat lamps for 2 of the tanks is because they have those 3-in-1 fixtures originally and then when they were upgraded it needed to be hotter and they are only rated for 75 watts. And sun glo is the only heat bulb that isn't a tight beam that i can find. So that way the sideways bulbs are the sun glo and the additional lamps are the 75 watt basking bulbs. I just didn't want to but a seperate UVB fixture so I just added the cheaper smaller lamps to both of them which I already had.

And yes, all 3 have Reptisun 10.0's that are either brand new or 2 months old.

Sorry for all the confusion. there has been a lot of swapping around and settling with the lighting. And I seemed to have made it difficult on myself. hah.

boxers

Hatchling Member
NegativeCreep":d866c said:
I think your temps are fine, but someone else may want to chime in. I'm pretty sure that's ok. They thermo-regulate, so if she/he gets too hot, he will just move...

ill agree with that.. they'll move if its too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom