Too hot in tank, cause cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
A while back I dsicovered my thermometer was 10 degrees too low amd my beardie had been in a tank that was too hot. We switched things out so he is better now, but could prolonged time in the hotter tank have caused cancer? Like sunburn in humans?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
These li'l guys live in the deserts of the Central Australian Outback. If things get too hot for them, they get out of the sun and seek the coolness of a hide.

Sunburn is caused by too much UV exposure, which is different than temperature, and no commercially available UV bulb can compare with what the sun puts out. I'd be very surprised if you had anything to worry about.

All that said, you might consider (if you haven't already) switching to digital thermometers with probes, and getting a temp gun, such as this (or another--your choice).

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2oygplxd said:
These li'l guys live in the deserts of the Central Australian Outback. If things get too hot for them, they get out of the sun and seek the coolness of a hide.

Sunburn is caused by too much UV exposure, which is different than temperature, and no commercially available UV bulb can compare with what the sun puts out. I'd be very surprised if you had anything to worry about.

All that said, you might consider (if you haven't already) switching to digital thermometers with probes, and getting a temp gun, such as this (or another--your choice).

Oh trust me i swapped for digital. Thanks for the reassurance.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I have a couple digital thermometers; one controls the exhaust fan if/when the hot side goes above 90°F and the other is integral to a central digital hygrometer, but the temp gun is the workhorse for monitoring basking & other surfaces (like Mr. Lizard himself). I also use it to test water temps when the li'l feller gets a bath. :wink:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Too hot ==> cancer in bearded dragons = NO.

Too hot can result a dragon who can't thermoregulate by moving to a cooler area is dangerous as it can result it extreme heat stress and it can loose it's ability to move. Eventually this is lethal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom