too cold?? what do i do??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. My beardie aang and I need a little help. I have read that you should only keep lights on your beardie for so long but you have to keep a certain temp in their home. Well when I turn his lights off it gets too cold in his home. What do I do?? Can he get too much light?? I don't want him too cold. Any advice??

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
At night, the temps in his viv can get down as low as 65 and be fine. Are they lower than that? If so you can get a CHE. They emit heat only, no light, so it wont disturb his sleep.

Also, he should be getting 12-14 hours of bright white light a day. This includes his bright white basking bulb and his UVB tube bulb (Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12%)

Breebaby11

Original Poster
OK so during the day I know he should have that much. I also bought a black heat light for at night is that OK?? We don't have central heat and air so its hard to keep his temps under control. Even with the heat lights (day and night) it gets too cold sometimes. We have a small space heater for him. He seems to like it a lot. But when he gets too hot he will go to his cool side. I have also heard about an aquarium under heater that you place under their aquarium. Is that safe?? And we bought him a red heat light. At times he likes it at others he doesn't. Is the red light safe for him??

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
I wouldn't suggest an under the tank heater as they can not feel heat on their tummies to know when they're too hot, and they can actually get burned. Also, the black and red lights arent very good because any color bulb will disturb his sleep. You need to get a ceramic heat emitter. They fit into the fixture you're already using and emit heat only.

Breebaby11

Original Poster
He seems to sleep well with the black light at night. I think I am going to try to leave his lights off tonight to see how he like it. I will just leave his heater on. Will bearded dragons have a change in attitude if they do not get enough sleep.?

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Yep, they definitely will. You might notice more "happy colors", more activity, better appetite, a whole range of good things.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you using the red light during the day? If so, they are hard on their eyes and do much better with a bright white basking light.

Any idea what the tank temp drops to at night? Would be a good idea to get a CHE.

Breebaby11

Original Poster
We would only have the red one on at night. We have been changing up the black and red one every night. Last night he slept ad well as he usually does. His temp gets below 60 if the lights and heater is off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom