Tongue stickiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdave

Juvie Member
How do beardies get the sticky tongue? Does it come from some kind of enzyme that they can turn off and on? Tiamat will halfheartedly lick a roach,I'm guessing he's tasting it, but won't try to eat it.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Lizards produce a thick mucus which sticks to the prey. I do not believe they have the ability to turn this process off. But, when your dragon flicks his tongue, all he may be doing is smelling the roach and not trying to eat it, other times it may take 2-3 times before the lizard actually gets hold of the prey item. That is more common to see amongst the heavier feeders such as hornworms.

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ya, I figured he was just smelling them. It's weird that he hits it each time, but just doesn't really put much effort into grabbing it.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Possible, that the roach doesn't smell appetizing to your dragon. Are you raising your own? What bedding are you keeping the roaches in?

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ya, I'm raising my own. I don't have any bedding in there, other than what they make.He also won't eat ANY feeder, regardless of where they come from. I did a topic on that, and it was determined that he may be kinda brumating. Hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom