Told to get rid of dragons! NO WAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

articwolfgirl

Juvie Member
mickeysmomma":1019ueth said:
THANK YOU!!! I needed the encouragement/back up! My hubby and I both feel the same as everyone else on here.

Funny part...I bought a BEWARE OF BEARDED DRAGON sign, and posted it on my door about an hour before she called. :mrgreen:

oh thats just too cute and ironic xD

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
WOW the audacity of some people! I'd tell her that not only are her kids not welcome, but she's not welcome to step foot in your house either because it's MORE than apparent that the source of the salmonella was her own house or kids! Tell her to pay for the testing, I'm sure they can figure out from the strain (you know CSI talk) :) But seriously, unless her kids are going around touching the poo and then eating it :puke: - it's impossible. And if they ARE doing that - you don't want them around period!

Meginsanity

Hatchling Member

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
Meginsanity":32edj10a said:
This is totally random but I saw this article today and thought of this thread: http://consumerist.com/2010/08/outbreak-of-rare-salmonella-strain-linked-to-taco-bell.html

...according to authorities, the source of the salmonella is food served at Taco Bell. [...] The cases of salmonellosis began popping up in April with most instances located in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky.

Totally random I know, but maybe worth a thought? Maybe her kids are fond of Taco Bell? :)

ROFL that's a thought! Maybe you should show her that article and point out to her that her kids have a FAR better chance of getting Sal * Monella from Taco Hell then they do from beardies ...that's unless they are eating the Poo! :puke:

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
First of all, your neighbor has no rights at all to tell you that you have to get rid of anything that is kept inside your own home, and isn't bothering anyone. If a pet was being kept outside and was making a nuisance of themselves by constant barking, getting out of your yard and causing damage to your neighbor's property, or was vicious and was a danger to someone, then that would be a different story......

Therefore, since your beardie doesn't go over and dig holes in her yard, crawl around and poop on her porch, or try to take her leg off, what you have in your house isn't any of her business, and you should tell her that! I certainly would....LOL

Also, since her son hasn't been in your house for about 8 months, then her claiming that he picked up Salmonella from your beardie is completely ridiculous. I can't think of a single disease on earth that has an incubation period of 8 months, and you need to point that out to her. While she is whining about your bearded dragon, her children are probably still being exposed to wherever the Salmonella came from in her own house! I would suggest to her that she look to her own housekeeping, or lack thereof, before she start pointing her finger at your bearded dragon, or at anyone's else's pets in the neighborhood either.

After calling these things to her attention, for the well being of her children, if for no other reason, I would hqve nothing further to do with her, and if your other neighbors should bring it up with you, just laugh it off as her being ridiculous, and leave it at that. That way YOU look the the bigger person, and she's the one who looks like an I d i o t ! LOL

As for all of the children involved, kids will find a way to play together whether their parents want them to or not, so eventually this will all blow over if you just refuse to argue with her and let the subject die.

Some people just don't have a whole lot of sense where animals are concerned, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it, so just ignore her, and eventually she'll shut up and go away if you refuse to stand and argue with her!

Just my personal opinion......

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I agree! My family and I don't want anything to do with her and her family!

I'm still upset/angry, but I kind of chuckle about it now. Her loss!!!

mrosol

Adding to Frito's reply....you all probably know this already but Salmonella is, in fact, a naturally-occuring bacteria on all herps. It exists in low concentrations. I have heard that it becomes a problem if uneaten raw meat is left in the cage - obvioulsy more of a problem with meat-eating herps than BD's. But like anything, cleanliness is the key. I know a commercial breeder/importer and he is very fastidious about washing his hands EVERY time he handles a herp of any kind. However, that is all it takes! If your pet is in a clean environment, and is clean himself (no feces on him etc.) then I agree with everyone else here who says that it's really tough to get Salmonella. However, you do have to look at the odds and her kid may have actually picked it up from your dragon, it's a chance. Here's a link (a bit old but still valid) to more info about Salmonella and reptiles. http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptiles/a/reptsalmonella.htm

All this said, I agree that I don't think there's any way she can force you to get rid of them. However, if it were me, I would begin amassing lots of data from vets, online etc. so that if it does escalate you'll be prepared with information.

Another idea is to try to gently reassure her. Try to diffuse the situation. I disagree that "laughing at her" is the right thing. I can't see that helping. You don't want her to get more upset and take any sort of extreme action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom