Toenail cutting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurela

I have a beardie that's about 7 months and hes getting to the point that his toenails are getting very sharp, they can catch on my skin, clothes, paper towels and just about everything now. I don't have sand or any rocks that could file down his nails and I've read that they can be trimmed but I'm not quite sure how. I've cut dog and cat toenails before but I'm not sure with the beardie because they're so small! Also with the black part down the outside and the clear part on the inside, I'm not sure if maybe the clear part should be avoided (like the quick on a dog or cat). I was going to use some cat toenail clippers but any advice would help!

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
The easiest way to trim their claws is to just trim off the sharp tips - they use their claws to hold on to things, so some part of the claw should be left for them. Simply using people nail trimmers, or small dog nail trimmers, to trim off the sharp points works just fine. :) If you have trouble keeping your beardie still, have a friend help you. I usually have a friend hold the beardie, and I gently hold one foot at a time and just quickly trim off the tips. Takes hardly any time at all, and the beardie usually doesn't even mind what's happening.

Good luck!

-Jen

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
also helps to put some rocks for them to climb around on in the cage with them. Rougher stuff like slate and granite will help them to naturally file down their nails so you won't have to mess with it

laurela

Original Poster
Thanks! I'll give it a shot with just some regular toenail clippers, I've noticed he's even starting to catch them on his reptile carpet so I'm sure he'll appreciate it too. I'm hoping to get him some cool looking rocks to replace his hide that's getting too small, I just gotta wait for the snow to melt because there's no way I'm paying $10 for a rock at the pet store!

thebenior

Hatchling Member
I just use regular nail clippers, though it has gotten easier as my dragon has gotten larger. I can't say that I noticed any difference on nail wear when I had slate tiles in his viv vs paper towels.

laurela

Original Poster
So it went fairly well, I cut them while he was in the bath since he seems to always be trying to put a foot or two on my hand anyways. I cut 2 a little too short and I'm not sure if it hurt him but he kind of held his foot up in the air for a while but he seems just fine. He's in a 30 gallon now so I'm going to start looking for a new tank for him soon and I definitely want to use some nicer looking tiles in there. I looked up a few yesterday and I love the look of the slate tiles on the floor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom