Toenail clipping. yay, or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
So, I have been wondering if I should clip my beardie's nails. His nails have grown quite large, and can do lots of damage when he is climbing on you (I have scars to prove it!). when I do the courage, I try, but then get worried I might hurt him, so I don't. What is your opinions on clipping nails? should I clip them, or not?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can clip them with regular clippers. Just be careful and only snip the thin tips of the nails. It's pretty easy when you've done it once or twice. Keep a bit of corn starch handy to stop bleeding if you accidentally nick too high. Alternatively you can use a tile substrate and put in a rough-ish basking rock to help file the nails down naturally.

I use baby clippers on Ngarehu's nails. He's really easy-going. I don't even have to towel him. I clip once a week, although usually it's just a touch-up.

Draco's on slate tile, so his wear down naturally.

Comparing the two methods: I definitely prefer the slate tile. Right after clipping, Ngarehu tends to have problems gripping my shirt, while Draco doesn't have this issue at all.

Amazonia

Nioka's nails take ages to grow (he's on tiles) but he had one that was getting sharp again, so I took my clippers to it, just took the tip off and that's him good for ages now :) I quite like doing it, it's kinda therapeutic - I also get asked to cut my parents' dogs dew claws - they're thick and hard to cut through but it's quite satisfying when you do it! Feel like a pet manicurist!

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all your suggestions. Amazonia, I never thought of it that way, but I love it. I went out this morning and bought some slate tiles, so hopefully that will help with his nails. If not, I can be Kahli's personal lizard manicurist. I must admit it, when I first got Kahli, I did paint his toenails pink. It took 10 months before it was completely off. But, once again, thanks you all for your help!

You can also file his nails: I did that when Clifford was young and the nails were very fine. I actually cut and file my baby's nails because when you cut they at an angle they can still be sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom