To cut or not to cut nails????

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdcrazy25

We were under the impression one was to cut the bd's nails, but then heard it is more stress than it is worth.

While i have your attention i was also wondering if there is an average age a bd is done growing. My 6 month old girl is 14-15 inches head to end of tail and just couldn't beleive how fast she grew.

I was also a more active user when we first got her and wanted to say thanks for all the helpful advice i recieved from the great people in this community.

She is also already eating superworms since about 14 inches some critique on this would be appreciated.

A snake keeper who had to buy his old lady a beardie. We really enjoy this little dragon.

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
I have trimmed the nails on 2 of my beardies...they were making me bleed when they would scratch me, so I had to do it. I only took a tiny amount off..just enough to get of the sharp tip. I used cat claw trimmers! Haven't had to do it since then. I do have some big rocks in their vivs, so maybe that is keeping their nails trimmed up.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
i cut their nails those suckers get real sharp. its a great idea to have slate tile or rocks in the tank those help file down their nails

hdcrazy25

Original Poster
mickeysmomma":rme2x4lp said:
I have trimmed the nails on 2 of my beardies...they were making me bleed when they would scratch me, so I had to do it. I only took a tiny amount off..just enough to get of the sharp tip. I used cat claw trimmers! Haven't had to do it since then. I do have some big rocks in their vivs, so maybe that is keeping their nails trimmed up.

Were the rocks in there before you had to cut the nails the first time?

Do the exo terra caves that are actually made out of plastic but look like stone benefit nail trimming at all?

I let my guy run around the house for an hour a day or so. That helps keep almost all of his nails down to where they aren't too sharp. I still have to cut one or two of them every month. They dont really mind, he sits there completely calm. It helps if someone else holds him also. You only want to cut the very sharp tip. If you cut too much and the nail bleeds, rake it across a bar of soap and that will stop the bleeding. I'm not sure if the exoterra hides will do much to keep his nails down since theyre really plastic. I use a reptile nail clipper. I found human nail clippers too big and the reptile ones are very easy to use.

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
I don't think I had the rocks in there at first. I know for sure that my newly adopted one did NOT have rocks and had the sharpest nails ever...ruined every shirt I put on until I trimmed them!

Freeie

Extreme Poster
We put tile in the bottom of the vivs. I clipped just the very tip tip off and then they wore them down normally with the tile.

hdcrazy25

Original Poster
Sounds like i may have to cut the tips and go and find me some nice big slate peices from the side of the road in southern indiana. Thanks for everyones input.

We bought our slate tile at Home Depot or Lowes, 12x12 for about $3 a piece. We washed them before we put them in the tank. We also put play sand around them because they weren't a perfect fit.

bubbagumper6

Juvie Member
Jessica1009":2luodygh said:
We bought our slate tile at Home Depot or Lowes, 12x12 for about $3 a piece. We washed them before we put them in the tank. We also put play sand around them because they weren't a perfect fit.

They'll cut those tiles for free ya know...also your supposed to use a sealer on the tiles so they don't absorb moisture (like urine) and grow bacteria and such...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom