tired of crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

drag113

well i have a 9 month old beardie, kinda smal for his age, 11 inches from head to tail, and i keep getting crickets from petland and i jusg dont think they are healthy, alot come dead or already dying, and i sont think they take care of those crickets, i buy hornworms sometimes too, but im looking for a staple thats not that expensive, i tried phoenix worms, he liked them but them stopped eating them, idk if it was because he was sick ( because he was sick at one time) or he didnt want them anymore, i heard sometimes they stopp eating them, i wanted to try dubias but theyre expensive to keep buying , i see 35 $ for 125 dubias, my beardie finishes that amount of crickets before the week is up, so idk what to do, im thinking finding cheaper dubias or trying silkworms, are silkworms a good staple?

icelore

Juvie Member
Try ordering crickets from a bulk supplier rather then buying them from a petstore. The crickets I've bought in bulk live longer (and are cheaper!) and you can feed them what you want so you know they're healthy.

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
If you want to stay with crickets I agree with Icelore. If you buy them bulk there alot better taken care of & its cheaper overall.
But I HATE crickets & I know alot of people who do to. You buy bulk it ends up stinking up the hole room you keep them in & if there adults there loud as hell & just dirty! But there still okay to use.
But with the dubias, they can be alittle exspensive, so why dont you breed them? There sooooo easy & sooo cheap to breed. Once you start, in about 4-7months your have more then you can handle.
If you buy from http://westcoastroaches.3dcartstores.com/ there prices arent that bad & sometimes there do crazy deals. I just bought 500medium roaches for 55$ total which is very cheap for a online store. Or look up on here, there are people willing to sell 1000nymphs for 50$ or 500mediums for 50$. Which will last you awhile with 1dragon who doesnt eat much.
I use to give my dragons crickets, & I could never get them to eat much, I thought I had broken dragons ahaha once I switched to Dubias & started breeding them, they eat anywhere from 40-60 A DAY! & there under 5months old!
So look into breeding dubias it will save you soooo much money in the long run, do research and ur see how easy it is. the first buy, like buying your colony and a bin could be like 100$ total with food and everything(which you dont need buy all in one day, in like a week or two time), but if you talk to the right people they can do you deals. I have a buddy on here which is selling me 60Adult Females 10AdultMales 200medium-large nymphs for 60$!!! Trust me thats a deal and a half!!

Also if you want try Medium Superworms if your petstore has them. If they dont try to find a Petco or Petsmart near by because you can buy 75ct for 3$. Also try Waxworms as a treat but only if you have a store that sells them beause online there stupid expensive when you can get 50ct for 4$ at a petstore.

Sorry I forgot. Silkworms are the BEST staple. But there also quite exspensive =/ and there such a pain to breed its soo hard. What I do is buy them as a treat for my beardys.

white98

the roaches... huge question about them they are roaches but how do u make sure they don't escape into your home and cause very nasty sights and interrupt your home because im not a fan of having roach infested home.

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
My father was same way he was nottttt a fan of me getting them and either was my girlfriend who lived with us at the time. Best answer is be careful. Get a lid that snaps on tightly and make sure you dont kick over the bin. When your picking up the egg crates make sure you dont hold them to high that if some fell off they will be on your floor. When your using them as feeders or picking feeders out of the bin get another container or anything they cant crawl out of and put them in there and then carry that over to your dragons tank. Treat it the same way you would with any feeder. Like with worms Im sure you dont pour them on your floor and then pick them up and leave few running around ur living room till your done, or Im sure you dont tilt your cricket bin sideways and let them jump out into the house. Theres ALWAYS a chance of them getting out just like any other feeder.
Im very careful, and about 2weeks ago Im laying down getting ready go bed with my girlfriend watching TV and out corner my eye I see something run right next to my head on my pillow. Was a huge male adult roach. He fluttered his wings and grabbed ahold of the mesh screen I use and got it to open alittle bit and got out...Thank god I seen it and got it.

icelore

Juvie Member
Even if a few got out, dubia roaches are no the common german cockroach and wont infest your home. They need specific circumstances to breed effectively - look at all the people on this forum who WANT them to breed and can't get them to. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete5775
Top Bottom