Tips for bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aajvell93

I've had Zeus 4 months now. He has come a long way. At first (even after proper acclimation) we could not touch him. He would hiss and bite and even jump at me. After having gardening gloves for handling him a few times he calmed down. After a few more months of work I can now finally get him out of his Viv with ease, he shows no signs of being scared or stressed. I can hold him and pet his beard, play with his tail, even give him kisses.
Even though he has calmed down, I still don't feel like he cares much for me or enjoys getting out. He always runs over where his cage is and looks for a way to get back in. I don't feed him in his cage except for his veggies. For live feeders I ALWAYS get him out. I get him out twice a day. Once in the morning when I feed, and once in the evening when I get home where I let him run around. After tiring himself out I snuggle with him on my chest under a blanket and he'll go to sleep.

I've read posts of beardies actually jumping on their owners hands to get out. I understand each one is different. I'm just looking for bonding ideas I could use to try and get him to that point. Any suggestions?

It looks like you're doing everything right. It's ok if he tries to get back in his tank, it's just because he likes it there. Just keep doing what you're doing and he'll bond with you even more ;).

Aajvell93

Original Poster
TheTechimals":98d5tt16 said:
It looks like you're doing everything right. It's ok if he tries to get back in his tank, it's just because he likes it there. Just keep doing what you're doing and he'll bond with you even more ;).

I will do that. I guess he just needs more time. Thanks!!

Zeobyte

I am having the exact same problem. As soon as I take him out he tries to get straight back in. He sometimes has a wonder round but always with a curled up tail with a black tip and striped marks on his belly. He has never hissed or bitten me. When I take him out and put him on me he jumps off within a minute and tries to get back on. Apart from thus he is perfect. I always give him live food in his viv, perhaps that's what I'm doing wrong. When I put him back in his viv he tends to immediately faltern himself and occasionally hide. No idea what I can do to make himself feel more comy out his viv.

Good luck to you and let me know if anything else helps

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Zeobyte":27lflxqu said:
I am having the exact same problem. As soon as I take him out he tries to get straight back in. He sometimes has a wonder round but always with a curled up tail with a black tip and striped marks on his belly. He has never hissed or bitten me. When I take him out and put him on me he jumps off within a minute and tries to get back on. Apart from thus he is perfect. I always give him live food in his viv, perhaps that's what I'm doing wrong. When I put him back in his viv he tends to immediately faltern himself and occasionally hide. No idea what I can do to make himself feel more comy out his viv.

Good luck to you and let me know if anything else helps

Antenna tail is good.

Try handfeeding some treats ....works wonders with taming lizards and getting them to trust you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom