tips for a new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on getting my very first beardie in a month or so and I'm having some trouble deciding on a good first time enclosure. Right now I have a 50 gallon and a 55(maybe) gallon tank that I could use. I'll probably go with the 55 gallon since it's already in my room, and of course its larger. For substrate I'm still deciding between using playsand and reptile carpet. I'm planning to adopt an adult in need of a home so playsand should be safe right? The only thing that is giving me trouble is the lighting. I was reading about the different types of UVB bulbs but I'd love it if you guys could give me your favorite brands. I was looking at the Mega-Ray bulbs, do any of you have experience with those? Also, how would you recommend a beginner set up their lighting and heat system in an aquarium?

Merry Christmas!
Savannah

Grogshla

Juvie Member
oki doki

for a 55 gallon i would use a 75 watt basking lamp. You can use any bulb here that gives off heat just like a normal house light. Reptile shops also sell these bulbs but they are usually more expensive. Allow your dragon to get no closer than 5inches from this bulb. The basking spot should be 40 degrees celcius. Baskin light should go on one side of your tank.

I would get a reptisun 10.0 or the arcadia 12 uvb tube. They are the best on the market. Other brands have caused lots of problems so stick to these 2 mate. I have the arcadia and it is fantastic. Allow your dragon to get within 8-10 inches of this light to receive the benefits. Try and get a good coverage with this light including the area where the dragon will bask. These tubes need to be replaced every 6 months.

Your temps should not drop below 20 degrees celcius at night. IF they do then you should get a ceramit heat emitter and bump up the heat at night. But yeah mate to summarise keep the basking spot at 40 then the hot side should be mid 30s then the cool side should be high 20's. Its good you have a large tank so the dragon can regulate his body temps.

Note that uvb rays cannot go through glass.So if your tank has a glass top instead of mesh you will need to mount the tube and fixture inside the enclosure.

misspeachesx

Original Poster
Grogshla":18lsq7vv said:
oki doki

for a 55 gallon i would use a 75 watt basking lamp. You can use any bulb here that gives off heat just like a normal house light. Reptile shops also sell these bulbs but they are usually more expensive. Allow your dragon to get no closer than 5inches from this bulb. The basking spot should be 40 degrees celcius. Baskin light should go on one side of your tank.

I would get a reptisun 10.0 or the arcadia 12 uvb tube. They are the best on the market. Other brands have caused lots of problems so stick to these 2 mate. I have the arcadia and it is fantastic. Allow your dragon to get within 8-10 inches of this light to receive the benefits. Try and get a good coverage with this light including the area where the dragon will bask. These tubes need to be replaced every 6 months.

Your temps should not drop below 20 degrees celcius at night. IF they do then you should get a ceramit heat emitter and bump up the heat at night. But yeah mate to summarise keep the basking spot at 40 then the hot side should be mid 30s then the cool side should be high 20's. Its good you have a large tank so the dragon can regulate his body temps.

Note that uvb rays cannot go through glass.So if your tank has a glass top instead of mesh you will need to mount the tube and fixture inside the enclosure.

So the reptisun 10.0 doesn't give off any heat? I already have experience setting up enclosures, making sure there is a temperature gradient, etc. I just wasn't sure if I should get a UVB bulb that also produces heat or one that only produces light. Either way I'll have to use a CHE or something of that sort at night. Over here my room gets down to the low 60s since it's winter. I have all of my enclosures(for my snakes) on thermostats as well. Instead of using a CHE could I use one of those night time bulbs or are those not recommended?
Thanks for all the info in your repluy!

Grogshla

Juvie Member
hey buddy.

The reptisun will give off some heat yes but not enough to get excited over. I would use your basking lamp for the main heat source. Then pick the uvb just for the uvb. They normally will throw off a bit of heat but really its not that much.

I would not recommend a coloured light bulb or night time bulbs for any reptile. Lots of people agree that it messes with their sleeping patterns as the dragons Can see the light and it causes stress.

If you need heat at night like you said i would use a che. Best of luck mate.

If you need more info just ask

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
And if the reptisun tube does give off heat, its barely noticeable even if you put it right up to your hand.

-Brandon

Grogshla

Juvie Member
i use paper sheets sticky taped together to cover the base of my enclosure. This way the clumsy baby dragons can not ingest any foreign objects whilst striking at their food. Others use newspaper, tiles, repti carpet etc. Anything that does not have loose particles. Once your dragon is adult then if you really want you can put him on sand but i dont think its necessary.

I think the best set up is paper and a nice big tile where the basking spot is (as the tiles absorb the heat and stay warm after lights go off.) Alt you could have nothing but tiles. This is also good but the tiles need to be rough so the dragon can walk properly and grip the tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom