Tiny worms in dubia bins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
I did a quick search on this topic and found a thread, but I couldn't really discern a straight answer. I'm raising my own dubia, and there are tiny black worms in the breeder bin, and since I separated out a few recently, now there are some in my feeder bin. Is this going to hurt my dragon? Will they give him parasites from the dubia or anything? I really don't want to have to scrap my whole colony, because that would just be a terrible waste of money. Any idea what they are or if they're harmful?

JMDaniels

jducky18":1ztcb7n4 said:
I did a quick search on this topic and found a thread, but I couldn't really discern a straight answer. I'm raising my own dubia, and there are tiny black worms in the breeder bin, and since I separated out a few recently, now there are some in my feeder bin. Is this going to hurt my dragon? Will they give him parasites from the dubia or anything? I really don't want to have to scrap my whole colony, because that would just be a terrible waste of money. Any idea what they are or if they're harmful?

Are they fuzzy looking? If so, then they are probably the harmless larva of Dermestid beetles.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They don't look fuzzy, if I was to describe them, they almost seem crunchy. I know that's not a real description, but they're barely a 1/4 inch long and black, I am a little too grossed out by them to take a closer look

I had similar ones in my bin that freaked me out. They seemed to be exactly like yours, appeared to have a hard exterior from a distance and, on closer inspection were fuzzy with tiny little hairs. I captured as many of them as I could, put them in a baggie, froze them, sent pics to the place I had ordered my Dubias from (2mos earlier) and the said they were, in fact, the Dermestid beetles. Now that my colony has grown, I wish I had not been so through in my cleaning of the larvae, as they help keep the debris down in the bottom of the crate (just a little tip to maybe keep in mind).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom