Tilted Mucury Vapor Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a couple of places that you should not tilt your MVB. Is this because it effects the amount of UVB put out or just because it will cause it to die prematurely. Also I've been reading about the mega-ray bulbs and a website said it should be mounted 3 feet away, do you think this is necessary?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
MVB's should not be tilted because it can damage the filaments in the bulb causing it to burn out prematurely. Another reason for not tilting it is because it makes it harder on the beardies eyes and our eyes.

I have not heard about any MVB's needing to be 3 feet away. If it's a 100 watt, it should be a minimum of 12" away and if a 160 watt, it should be a minimum of 18" away. Seems to me if it was placed 36" away that it wouldn't be beneficial at all.

chadwick757

Hatchling Member
Are you sure you weren't looking at Maximum recommended distances? I just double checked the site and can only find the 12 and 18in distances.

chadwick757

Hatchling Member
The 100 and 160W sb are what most people here use. The Zoo bulbs are for big zoo style enclosures and not home use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom