Tile?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am considering using tile in my bearded dragon cage as a preventative for all the issues other substrates might cause. I suppose posters have made me a bit paranoid :? ... Anyway, I am new to the idea of tile so is there a certain kind that is recommended? Place to buy it? How do you put it in the cage? Do you fill in the crack with something permanently. I am a little confused about the application

gandhi

Hatchling Member
Hey....great idea - Tile is definately the way forward.

You need to have tiles that arn't really smooth or shiny. I have large textured floor tiles.

Some people grout them in and some people leave them loose - personally I leave them loose because I can take them out to clean them.

Im in the UK and bought them from topps tiles but B & Q have some too or it might be cheaper for you to get some online.

Hope this helps

Gina

iwysss

gandhi":7f5cb said:
Some people grout them in and some people leave them loose - personally I leave them loose because I can take them out to clean them.

Gina

I am planning on using tiles also. But if you have them loose, will the tiles keep on shifting? How do you keep them in place without grouting them? The cracks seem a little dangerous for the beardies if they shift.

Personally i used big floor tiles and used some whole and cut the rest with a tile cutter to fit my tank perfectly so there is no gaps apart from a tiny space to fit a knife to flip the tiles out for when i want to clean them

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Assuming you can take measurements, cutting tile is not difficult at all, although it does require a way to cut it (i.e. tile saw, tile breaker). If you don't grout the tile, you'll need to keep in mind that most tile is porous. Eventually, the BD (may) poop on one of the cracks and things may get kind of messy. I'd recommend sealer the sides (especially cut sides) and the bottom of the tiles if you can. This should make things a little easier to clean up.

Full tiles are pretty heavy, so it would take quite a bit to move them. Also, as mentioned, you can cut them to size to make them fit. As an alternative, you could use some wood (or whatever really) to shim the gap between the edge of the enclosure and tile. This should effectively "lock" them in place so there is no danger of shifting.

iwysss

JeffSimpson":46110 said:
Assuming you can take measurements, cutting tile is not difficult at all, although it does require a way to cut it (i.e. tile saw, tile breaker). If you don't grout the tile, you'll need to keep in mind that most tile is porous. Eventually, the BD (may) poop on one of the cracks and things may get kind of messy. I'd recommend sealer the sides (especially cut sides) and the bottom of the tiles if you can. This should make things a little easier to clean up.

Full tiles are pretty heavy, so it would take quite a bit to move them. Also, as mentioned, you can cut them to size to make them fit. As an alternative, you could use some wood (or whatever really) to shim the gap between the edge of the enclosure and tile. This should effectively "lock" them in place so there is no danger of shifting.

Thanks for the cool ideas, Jeff. I'll take your word: Seal the tiles and then use a piece of wood, instead of grouting them. That will save me lots of work :D

mom2twinsplus2

Hatchling Member
I just got some tile for my beardie's cage...I am sure it will be fine for my big one's cage cause she often poops out of her viv and only every other day or so...but it is a big PITA at the moment for my baby who poops multiple times a day in her viv.

Alison

I used sand for a long time and then my daddy got sick of the smell of sand after awhile and got me some slate tile.
(sense he is a handyman, he got it for free)
But you can get these "floor" tiles from Home Depot or Lowes. Where ever you choose.
If you you have a 55 gallon tank (my male is in a 55) 5 tiles would be perfect.
But to make it easier i used a wet diamond saw to cut a little big off one and it fit perfectly and was easy to get the tiles out.

Tiles are awesome :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom