Thor - Camping trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thor

Born: October 4th 2009
Sold: November 23th 2009

Wow here is the lil fella Thor my first ever Beardie. hows that one morning your a deprived young man with out a beardie and by lunch your a proud father of a beardie. well i hope Thor likes his $1000+ setup. Glass Vivarium Dimensions - 1200mmx500mmx610mm, Rock wall on the back, wall in water bowl, fake plant, a bulky basking log, a stick which i treated 1ft long

Here is Thor posing just after downing 3 crickets just after he got home
IMG_1194_resize.jpg

(Date:23/11/09)

EmJagsz

Juvie Member
Maybe he is scared. Or he is confused? Poor pooper. Did you put in a bright white light in yet? I'm sure he'll be much happier once you make that change!

EmJagsz

Juvie Member
If you have a white housebulb laying around you could pop that in and see if his behaviour changes.

AussieOutlaw

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The Black Out

At 4.30pm Central Australian Time 'The Black Out' occurred and the one thing that ran through my head was F*** Thor is he okay?, were is he?, whats the temp?, what can i do?
first thing i did was get out from under my bed and run to Thor's Vivarium (i have a loft bed and my computer is under it and a meter from were I'm sitting is Thor's Vivarium). i looked for him found him in the back right corner with his head under the repticarpet. i assessed what i could do to lid was open(which was keeping the vivarium cool and my basking light on because its on a thermostat) i got a thermometer put it there and closed the lid to keep the heat in. left Thor for a lil bit thinking what else i could do and let the thermometer get a more accurate reading. 20mins later i looked at the thermometer and it was hovering around 30C any lower and i would have to find a car battery and a inverter (gotta love being a 4WD and camping family) and rig up a power source and put the heater on. hour passed and i had to rig it up. i sat there for an hour doing suduku (I'm the only one apart from my dad that i know that can do it) and keeping an eye on the lil fella. left for dinner a lil while later (damn was that hard leaving him alone in this situation), i finished quick and go back to Thor held his claw for a bit and by 7.00pm the the power was back. I instantly turn of the inverter unplugged it from the inverter and plugged everything back into the wall. WE SURVIVED. Thor looked okay seemed not to shook up (i wasn't). earlier today i was cleaning about 8 rocks to put in Thor's vivarium so i put them in there a quick rearrangement and Thor ran back into his favorite hidey hole 'The fake plant' and went to sleep. That was my que to turn on the computer and report this disaster (I'm not exaggerating). aint that just dandy BD.org is down for mantenince.

AussieOutlaw

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
and i figured out the problem as i has my basking light on a thermostat and my room is fairly warm the basking light isn't on a whole lot so i left the lid open for a bit (don't worry there is no way in the world Thor can get out or any crickets that decide to head for the stars) and the basking light came on so ive left it open and the basking light is on pretty much all the time now and he just loves sitting under the basking light now every now and then he goes for a dash to the other side but he doesn't mind at all about the infared light.

my point of view no need to mouth of (I'm just assuming the worst)
whats the point of making it as natural as possible if we wonted that we wouldn't be looking after them or cuddling with them

EmJagsz

Juvie Member
To be honest, your beardie would have been completely fine without any lights for a few hours. You could have just taken him out and held him with you so he would get some of your body warmth to tide him over. The black out is no different than him going to sleep for the night ;) It's great to see all that you did for him though! :mrgreen:

In the end it's up to you what you choose to use for your beardie. Although you also have the added benefit of being able to see/observe him better if you used a bright white bulb instead of an infrared. Wouldn't you love hot sunny days if you were a bearded dragon? I am also curious if infrared bulbs will give your beardie the UVA rays it needs that it would get from a bright bulb...?

Heisei

Hatchling Member
I would say you absolutely need a proper UVB bulb. IDK if that Fluoro you have in there is a UVB or not. If not, you NEED a UVB source. Either some ReptiSuns 10.0 or a MegaRays 100W MVB (http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-sb-100-watt-self-ballasted-flood-uvb-lamp.php) which not only will provide the oh so vital UVB radiation (necessary for the production of Vit D) that Thor would normally get from the sun, but also provide enough heat to double as a basking light. The initial expense is a wee bit high, but it does last a year as compared to 6 months for the Fluoro tubes. Seeing as you are willing to go so far for him it shouldn't be much of a problem ;).

Cute little guy he is BTW :)

Aaron

LaszlosLens

Hatchling Member
You need to provide your beardie a suitable basking light- like the ones here- http://www.reptileuv.com. also, your florescent tube light is too high up for your BD to catch any rays from. What are your temps? What type of tube light are you using?

:D

AussieOutlaw

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
im using a Sylvania Reptistar 18w 60cm UVA/UVB
temps i have set on 30C on a thermostat so when it gets cold it turns the basking light on.
and yes i am looking into getting a new basking light

EmJagsz":1c427 said:
Any update on how Thor is doing?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
getting his much needed artificial sun
IMG_1236_resize.jpg

IMG_1235_resize.jpg

AussieOutlaw

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well tomorrow Thor and the family will be going camping for a few days.
i have prepared a temporary home, i have food, water and hopefully the daytime sun is sufficient and then sleeping in my swag with me at night will do for warmth. when i get back ill be posting pics for all you pic lovers.

*Edit*Thor has Reached the 5"Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom