This light or that light? This bulb or that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Ok, I need the low down on what is the best light, well heat source to use at night.
I am now using one of those red night lights ONLY because it was suggested for me to use it from people here, and they stated that the beardie cannot see the red so it doesn't interupt their sleep. Now, I am reading that this isn't the case and that it does disturb their sleep, although I beg to differ in at least Spike' case cuz he has NO problem sleeping - at any time! :lol:

But, yeah, if you all could give me the low down. Please no arguing, just state what you believe to be correct, and if your statement is based on fact and not just opinion I would like to know that as well =)

1sttimebeardiemom

Juvie Member
Beardies CAN see redlight. You don't need a heat source at night unless your viv temps dip to below low 60's at night I think some say as long as they stay about 60 it's fine. If you still need a heat source a Ceramic Heat Emitter(CHE) is your best route to go. Make sure you have a ceramic socket fixture for it as they get quite hot. Some also suggest putting a heat mat on the SIDE of the tank...this gives some added warmth to your BD but since it's on the side they can't burn themselves. Hope I helped. And Petmountain.com is probably the cheapest place to get a CHE...I know they are around $40 in the pet stores.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
If the red light doesn't bother your dragon at all, then it's fine to keep using it :) It's not dangerous to use a red light, its just that they've been known to disrupt some dragons' sleep, leaving the dragon tired and grouchy. If your guy sleeps with it on just fine, then you're fine to keep things the way they are.

Otherwise we recommend a ceramic heat emitter because they put off heat without any light to disrupt your dragon's sleep and are over your dragon's head which makes them much safer than a heat mat.

As mentioned above, you only need a heat source at night if the temps drop below the low sixties, otherwise the cooldown is natural and healthy for your dragon.

Hope this helps :)

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks all!
Yea, he really doesn't seem bothered by the red light. I actually think he kind of likes it - I have been using it for a while, and he knows that when that red light comes on it's bed time and he goes in his little house... so since its okay to use I think I will just continue with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom