this isnt good i dont now what to do i have no money

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It actually looked bigger than that. If I could make a suggestion, I'm not sure what side she spends the most time on, but using a higher wattage household lightbulb for her basking side, like a 75 watt might be a good idea. It doesn't seem like a 60 watt is actually quite high enough. I have our female in a 55 gallon which is the same length but narrower, and I use a 100 watt MVB over her basking side with the bulb at a distance of 14" from the actual basking site. So, it's a good idea to have a warmer side and a cool side for proper thermoregulating. What do you think?

TheRedDragonAkaRed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well i dont really have any other lights around i migth be able to find some in the garage.....but i do have a 150w light maybe if i hover that above the tank it could make the whole tank like 85-95 an then her basking spot would be 100-105.....i still dont have a good themometer ever though the one i have seems to work fine....the pet shot today had one for 20 and 40$ and the other one didnt have any.

TheRedDragonAkaRed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
how long should i turn that light on for?......it ANYTGHING seems wrong i will be shutting it off dont worry...i am very good at noticing mood changes....(SIDE NOTE she just started digging)(i think just for a comfy bed but maybe for eggs) i am still not 100% sure she is gravid but 99%

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
TheRedDragonAkaRed":5ff83 said:
well i dont really have any other lights around i migth be able to find some in the garage.....but i do have a 150w light maybe if i hover that above the tank it could make the whole tank like 85-95 an then her basking spot would be 100-105.....i still dont have a good themometer ever though the one i have seems to work fine....the pet shot today had one for 20 and 40$ and the other one didnt have any.
I'm afraid that a 150 watt bulb would be too much which can cause rapid dehydration which would be dangerous for her, especially now, a 75 watt or 100 watt would be safer. Do you have one of those wattages in a lamp in the house that you could take out & replace with one of the 60 watts in her tank? You don't want to have her whole take 85 to 95, you need to have a cool side of about 80. A thermometer for $20 and $40 is way too expensive. Do you have a Walmart near you? The AcuRite that I mentioned to you before works great and is only about $12.00 and it gives both the basking & cool side temps at the same time. It also has a humidity readout. Here's a picture of it:
100_0297.jpg

Let me explain how you use it then it will help you understand why it works so well & why the stickon types don't. You lay the probe end so that it is resting on (actually touching) the basking area with the thermometer part way over on the cool side. You wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising, then the "out" reading will be the basking temp and the "in" reading will be the cool side temp.
TheRedDragonAkaRed":5ff83 said:
how long should i turn that light on for?......it ANYTGHING seems wrong i will be shutting it off dont worry...i am very good at noticing mood changes....(SIDE NOTE she just started digging)(i think just for a comfy bed but maybe for eggs) i am still not 100% sure she is gravid but 99%
The UVB should actually be on for about 12 hrs, the whole time the heat bulbs are on. You could cut it back to 10 hrs unless you see any problems arise. Keep an eye on her beard and end of tail colors, if they darken and she acts differently, then you should be concerned. Do you think you can move the UVB over to the basking side and lower it so she can get some benefit from it? If she was only bred about 2 wks ago, she shouldn't be getting ready to lay eggs yet. Perhaps she just wants to sleep in the lay box.

TheRedDragonAkaRed

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i put her to bed on the towel she always sleeps there lights out right now.....theres a small chance ill get to walmart tomorow but by the sound of it were going the oppisite way (different city) (for car shopping) so i probly wont be able to get a themometer yet mine zoo med and its working fine tomorow ill check the temps again with it and get and exact reading off it.....

i dont understand why alll these products are even out there if there bad for animals or dont work.

this makes me want to listen to the shop owners more and more... ( she told me not to beleive what i read on the internet) lol i will always beleive the internet......but i like to find more then one sourse of the same information

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Well this thread sure has been busy since I have been gone.I have to say this once and I will drop it,its up to you as an owner to decide whats best for your animal and who you choose to listen to with that said however there is a reason why the shop owner is telling you dont listen to the internet and listen to her.Its simple I can tell you go spend 5-10$ on a thermometer that will work perfectly indefinately at walmart and she loses money OR you can spend 20$ on one of her stickies or dials that dont measure surface temp and then when your beardie isnt acting right you go back and she says oh ok buy this buy that and guess what she makes money AGAIN.I can also tell yo spend 20$ plus shipping on a UVB she doesnt carry OR you can spend 40$ on one in her store.Do you see where I am going with this?While there are some great shops out there just remind yourself exactly what has happened to your beardie so far because of HER advice and ask yourself this IF she were to tell you we are right,she is wrong what would you do?Would you still go there and buy everything she told you or would you go off on her and never go back?She has a job to do and so do you unfortunately sometimes the two conflict.So you gotta do whatever you feel is right.If you have questions we will do our best to answer them.You may not like what you here sometimes this is true but try and remember that we are only trying to help.Also keep in mind that typing words on the internet and speaking face to face are very different so what you might take as offensive is really just a person trying to get their point clearly across to you so the message isnt lost.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, I have to say that if you're using a Zoo Med thermometer and it's either a strip type, round gauge or a digital without a probe end, you're not getting good readings because those can be off as much as 20 degrees when compared to either a temperature gun or a digital with a probe. So, unfortunately, you're not going to be able to get an exact reading from it. I think you must realize how important good temps are with their overall health.

There are a lot of products on the market that either don't work or are dangerous. Unfortunately, most pet stores are only in it for the money and none of us here make anything with all the information and advice we give, just the satisfaction of helping owners & their beardies and having the owners make the necessary changes so their beardie can become and stay healthy. We do it for the love of beardies.

If you'd rather listen to the pet store owners, that is certainly your choice. The members here have an obsession with beardies and that is what has brought us all here. Have you ever met a pet store employee that had an obsession with just beardies and has had as many yrs experience as most of us here have? A lot of us have raised our beardies from very tiny babies (myself included) and there isn't hardly anything that we haven't experienced, not to mention the many hrs that we have spent helping and advising owners with all sorts of minor and serious problems. The choices you make are totally up to you. If you decide you need/want more help, we are here. Otherwise, we hope your beardies can be healthy and live a long life.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry Vicky, I started typing my post but didn't finish until after you posted yours. I didn't want you to think I was copying what you said. :eek:

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
diamc":7749e said:
Sorry Vicky, I started typing my post but didn't finish until after you posted yours. I didn't want you to think I was copying what you said. :eek:
LOL thats ok glad I beat you to it this time :wink:

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Just chipping in with the termometer issue, i didnt really think it could be so far off, but when Gizmo started acting wiered, i bought the one everyone recommended. I placed them side by side and the digital one read 15 degrees lower! I understand you are in a sticky position at the min, if you are going to a food store, even something like a digital meat probe, until you can get a more perminant one??

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Red, have you been able to find a Reptisun yet ? I have a 4' Sun, that if you pay for shipping from zip code 31406, I will happily package and mail it to you. No other cost.
Janie.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
zebraflavencs":49726 said:
Red, have you been able to find a Reptisun yet ? I have a 4' Sun, that if you pay for shipping from zip code 31406, I will happily package and mail it to you. No other cost.
Janie.
Janie, that's a very considerate offer. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kpurlett
Top Bottom