this doesn't make me a bad person...right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
Ok let me set the scene for you...
Saturday around lunchtime. I met my parents, my brother and the thing he refers to as a girlfriend, for lunch.
after lunch my parents asked if i would help them choose a toy for Thor, hes an extreme chewer, and they wanted to go to petsmart. So to petsmart we went. I walked right by the reptiles, its easier if i dont see them... my brother likes to see the snakes and all so he was looking at them. He saw a beardie and was alarmed at how bad he looked. he came to me, like i could save him, and told me there was a beardie with a black belly in the vines and he looked really bad. I went over and looked at him and yes he was in very bad shape... complete black belly (anyone ever seen that before?) and he was lethargic...so lethargic he fell out of the vines into his water bowl. I immediatly freaked out. I have a friend there and he ran over to help, i held the beardie as my friend removed the vines. I'm guessing he was up there because he was cold. this guy wasnt more than 4" long... and was very sickly as you can imagine. My brother begged me to buy him, but i refused. I am not going to add to the cause. I told him if i bought that one there would be 3 more in in a few days in just as bad if not worse shape. At that moment, that thing my brother calls his girlfriend, decided to get in my face. She was yelling about how i "Claimed" to be such an animal lover and yet if i'm such a lover i could at the very least save that poor lizard. She fails to understand that they take a lot of work and a lot of money to start up.. .not to mention the special food i would have to buy because he was so small... he would of needed pinhead crickets... she is convinced i'm a horrible person. i held that beardie, i watched him fall like he didnt ahve any stregnth, and i put him back in the viv, i felt the temperature of the viv, there arent any thermometors that i can see but i can tell you that when you put your hand in my baby's viv, it is MUCH WARMER compared to that... I mean i feel bad enough .... i just dont need her to keep on at me EVERYTIME i see her. I have a really bad temper and I'm on the verge of losing it... i'm trying to keep my cool but when you are talking about something that you know damn well i'm passionate about, thats it. I can only be pushed so far... I was right to do that wasnt i?? I feel about 2" high right now, because yes, i have an extra viv, and yes i have ordered different lights but, i'm not prepared for another beardie, i'm not saying i'll never want another but for me one is wonderful, not to mention he was clearly sick, when he breathes he made a bubbly noise, and i dont have the extra money for vet care... everytime she sees me she has some smart remark to say to me.. I'm really upset enough...

lilblack94gt

Hatchling Member
I would have turned it on her. I would have asked why, if she was so worried about it, why didn't she buy it? Maybe, if she had to experience the care needed for a beardie and the cost to keep one, she would better understand why you chose to react like you did.

As far as whether what you did is right or wrong, everyone has different views on this.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
i am just trying to be civil to her, i understand that she is upset, but like you say if she had the responsibility of a beardie she would understand...

Livey

Extreme Poster
im a rescue person, and love resucuing beardies, but if i saw one right now? i would turn it down... i just dont have the money right now.
the world would be over run if every beardie survived, ITS just nature for them to die, although when they are in captivity they shouldent die,
You did the right thing as it can often be hard,
but..
If you beating your self up about it, why not buy it, get it up to health for a month or so and sell it on here to someone who can look after it??
just a thought..

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I have thought about going by and looking to see if he/ she is there, but like you say the world isnt fair... its survival of the fittest... and honestly i dont have the money for a vet bill, nor do i have feeders for his size.... i have considered going to get him though, but then i woudl just be giving money to the people that i dont think should have them at all..I'm just a walking contradiction,lol.

abtrfli

Everyone knows that getting a new (especially a baby) beardie isn't something you can just off the cuff decide to do... it takes a lot of time and energy, not to mention costs... it wouldn't be fair to adopt one if you don't have the time or resources to properly care for it, in addition to your current responsibilities... Yes, it would break my heart to know that the little thing isn't being cared for properly... did you talk to a manager or someone there about getting at least proper temps for it?

Relevant story: A reptile store down the street from me has a huge display in front with about 8 beardies in it (the cage must be 15 x 15 feet, or more), and people kept coming in off the street, yelling at him for being "cruel" to the beardies by not keeping standing water in their cage. (Standing water isn't part of their natural habitat, and they get most of the water they need from their diet and the regular baths they get, as you know)... but the owner of the store got tired of being harassed by people and caved so now there's (unnecessary, but not harmful) standing water there for them. This goes to show business owners will cave when they are confronted, so maybe this store just needs to feel the heat (so to speak! ha!) from the concerned public.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
No, it doesn't make you a bad person. It makes you smart as you know what you can handle and what you can't. I turned down an ill beardie locally because of the same reasons you mentioned, no time and not enough $ to take it to a vet.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
abtrfli":2tn5r1nw said:
Everyone knows that getting a new (especially a baby) beardie isn't something you can just off the cuff decide to do... it takes a lot of time and energy, not to mention costs... it wouldn't be fair to adopt one if you don't have the time or resources to properly care for it, in addition to your current responsibilities... Yes, it would break my heart to know that the little thing isn't being cared for properly... did you talk to a manager or someone there about getting at least proper temps for it?

Relevant story: A reptile store down the street from me has a huge display in front with about 8 beardies in it (the cage must be 15 x 15 feet, or more), and people kept coming in off the street, yelling at him for being "cruel" to the beardies by not keeping standing water in their cage. (Standing water isn't part of their natural habitat, and they get most of the water they need from their diet and the regular baths they get, as you know)... but the owner of the store got tired of being harassed by people and caved so now there's (unnecessary, but not harmful) standing water there for them. This goes to show business owners will cave when they are confronted, so maybe this store just needs to feel the heat (so to speak! ha!) from the concerned public.

I did speak with her, I pointed out that he was ill, seeing as he fell from his place before and he was making bubble noises when he would breathe... the thing about the manager is its obvious she cares, but she told me that she has to do things coops way... i understand that, she told me she had an iguana for many many yeas, so she has an idea of what neeed sto be done, she seemed very upset, but told me she would look into getting him proper veterinary care, i think she will...

YellowRoomReptiles

Juvie Member
I think that you did the right thing. Buying a "rescue" from the pet shop does nothing to help the situation, only enable that it keeps happening. While it is still sad to see, try not to beat yourself up over it. Hopefully they will get it the help it needs and take better care of the next ones they bring in to sell.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
thanks Jessica... I look at my baby and I just think sometiems how they can allow that treatment... they are so affectionate, sure sometimes moody but animals and humans alike have thier moments... I havnet gone back to see if she actaully got help for him/her...

YellowRoomReptiles

Juvie Member
They are such sweet animals! I agree. Everyone has their own distinct personalities. I don't know how anyone, petstore, or anyone else can mistreat them.

I totally understand. Though I am new to beardies....and only have 1 I have been taking care of a friends for the last week while they are on vacation. Let me tell you...having 2 is a LOT more work. He is not happy with us...he is totally finiky...probably due to stress. It seems no matter what I do....he just hates me. The only thing he does like is the blankey I made him. I totally spoil Bob...so spoiling 2 to that degree...whew....lots of work. You also probably would of had to take him to the vet and as bad off as he sounded....he might not of made it. Sad sad story.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
my friend austin called me last night, he told me that his manager bought the beardie and took it to the closest reptile veterinarian she could find (which by the way is about 45 miles or further away from her)... appearently coop didnt care, and they didnt think the beardie was sick, so she's doing what she feels is best for him... I really look up to people who are willing to go that extra step and try to help an animal...

ChellyBeans

Gray-bearded Member
Like the others, buying that beardie puts multiple other beardies at risk to being treated the same.

You just can't go around saving everything. Take her to the pound, tell her to bring something home.

That bubbling sound is an URI. Which is very costly. It would be best to just cross your fingers. These things take time, money and consideration. Not to mention LOTS of TLC. I 'rescued' my Phoenix from PetSmart back in November and it wasn't until January that she was able to keep on weight. That was also $450 later.

It's people that will buy them on a whim that makes this hobby dangerous for the creatures involved. I watched an employee at PetSmart tell a boy that he could keep a ball python in a large carry tank (most commonly used to transport small reptiles and mice). If they kept him/her in there then it wouldn't grow. Seriously? No lighting? Substrate? NOTHING. Infuriating, yes. Did I say something.... yes. It didn't get me anywhere despite me having a rather large snake tattoo on my arm.

Tell her to shove it and to go rescue the feeder fish. Nothing lives in worse conditions and they end up getting mutilated by other fish.

She is being unreasonable. If someone else hadn't have helped it, then you should have bartered with her that you would have taken the beardie if she covered the very expensive vet bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom