Third Time Lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snagy

Hey Guys :wave:

My name's Sarah, I live in FNQ, Australia and I recently joined this site seeking advice when my very first little beardie dropped dead within the first week (impaction from the breeder was the consensus). Anyway the breeder came good and offered me a healthy and feisty replacement who sought every opportunity to launch an attack at me :evil: ....being a newbie to the whole reptile pet thing, I was a little apprehensive and would pull my hand away in fright (I now know a mosquito bites harder). Unfortunately one day he jumped up to bite me when I was removing his water dish......and......I accidentally droppped it on him......(he died instantly though).....I was devastated and so annoyed with myself (yes I cried)

I then bought my third little guy 'Pyro' from a pet store, his not at all used to being handled and I'm finding it's a very slllooowwww process with taming him..... I'm so very envious of you all who have well tamed and animated beardies.....I'm yet to see Pyro head bob, wave or anything......the only message I'm sure he would convey if able to would be to extend his middle finger at me. I have a few other pets and also do wildlife caring occasionally, but this is the first pet I've had that has me constantly mesmerized. I really enjoy just sitting there with a glass of wine and mucking about with him. I was so enthuised by my new companion that I built him a 'u beaut viv', looks awesome!!! It took me a week to make it and as soon as I figure out how to post some pics on here (not IT savvy), I'll show you. Also thank you to those whom gave advice when I asked.....Cheers :D

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Oh my im sorry you had such a terrible start with beardies.

Dont be too discoraged about little Pyro. Every dragon is different and takes longer to tame than the next. I know this from personal experience.
Dex, my first adult rescue, was utterly terrified when I brought her home. She would bite, scratch and hiss at me as much as humanly possible, but with alot of persistance and patience she turned into the most affectionate pet I have ever owned. She would tap and tap on her viv until I let her out to come to me. She is dearly missed.
Ruben, a rescued juvie, was a different battle. Rube never bit or scratched, but showed no interest in me. He is a special needs dragon so requires alot of care, but for months he would barely tolerate me. Rube is still a much more independant dragon than most, but he does enjoy the occational snuggle in a beardie burrito. He lets me cuddle him rather than enjoys it, but i'll win him over sooner or later!
Miso, a rescued baby, is one of those fearless dragons. Full of energy and not frightened by anything. She would always be happy to run around on my lap but only within this last week has bonded with me enough to fall asleep on my shoulder.

Sometimes its easy, sometimes its a battle, but I believe every beardie can be tamed.
If youd like any tips on how to build a bond Id be happy to help.

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom