Thinking about breeding..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i have a 2 year old male bearded dragon and thinking about buying a female dragon from a upcoming reptile show and breeding them so i have a few questions about it. 1st do you have to brumate your dragon for them to breed? 2nd at what age can you breed them? 3rd what should be the incubator temps and humidity?

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
First off let me warn you, theres alot more to worry about than what you just asked. I don't know if you realize that on adverage a female will lay 20 eggs, all expected to hatch. She will not drop the eggs unless she has a good digging spot (lay box). You cant house all 20 in the same small cage, thats horrible. And you should look into what it takes to feed a little pooper just so your ready. And if i where you i would set aside about $100 emergency cash just incase you need to get a new heating supply or more food or something and your short on $.

Now that i have kind of warned you.....i will help you out.

No you don't have to brumate nor can you force a dragon to do that.
Temps are about 80F, you should double check that because there are 100s of forums covering it.
Humidity is finnicky, you have to observe the eggs to get it good, eggs too soft take some away eggs not soft add some, super small incrments.
You can breed at 2years old but make sure that they are of similar size. If your male is 5 inches too long he may have a bit of touble gettin up in there. ( i have personally witnessed this and is was so sad lol, wasn't my dragons for the record )

Last but definatly not least I AM NOT AN EXPERT. I mostly just wanted to test my own knowlege as i do in many cases here on BD.org. I didn't look any thing up to refresh my memory so double check my answers. Cal;l it homework, do it, love it, and learn all you can because you don't want 20 dieing babies on your mind. No one wants that.

Good luck my friend, and may i ask what expo are you attending?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
ok 1st correction.
A female can lay from 20 to 140 eggs over a 5 to 6 month period from 1 breeding.
Google and the search feature on this site are your friends. Happy hunting.

DragonDude24

Original Poster
Thanks for your help guys! For the expo i hopefully will be attending the Repticon reptile convention in Tampa FL. :D And if i do decide to breed i will be researching a ton before hand.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Dude I am not trying to talk you out of it but it is a lot of work!!! So yes do your research before hand!!!! Good luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom