Thiamine deficiency and greens/storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmeal

Hello, everyone!
I was just doing a bit of research regarding vitamin/mineral supplementation in reptiles, and I saw in the article that it was specifically mentioned that freezing leafy greens destroys thiamine(B1). I knew this, but I unfortunately learned it the hard way about 5 years ago with my older beardie. I was a student (did not have a lot of money, working constantly, etc.), so I thought, "Hey! I'm preparing and freezing food for myself to save time. Why not do the same for my reptile?". So I did! And for a while I thought I was wildly clever making salads for Ryu and and thawing them as needed.
After a (longer) while though (and I can't remember how long), I noticed a very, very fine tremor in her head and freaked out! I was concerned that she was having seizures; had MBD; my mind went everywhere. At the time it took a lot of googling to figure out she was thiamine deficient and that was causing her head tremors and general uncoordinated-ness. Thankfully, cutting out the frozen food and temporarily increasing supplementation fixed the problem in no time.

At the time I wanted to freeze salad to:
A) Save money and prevent spoiling food (it felt so wasteful). Even though my girl eats salad every day, it was still impossible for me to go through a bunch of greens without them going off in the fridge
B) Save time. I was super busy working full time and going to school
C) Save 'healthier' greens that are easier to find in the spring/summer so I could feed them through winter and provide a more varied diet

Now! I have 2 beardies now, so I thought that might solve some of my salad woes, as I still have the same issues as before. However, the new guy eats very little salad, so that just isn't the case.
Last summer I was frantically trying to figure out what to do with all the veg from my garden (freezing and preserving wasn't an option as I have limited space), and someone on a gardening forum suggested putting all the leafy greens (chard, kale, spinach) in a food dehydrator and then grinding them into a powder to store and later add into smoothies/casseroles/etc.

Has anyone tried something similar with bearded dragons? I might try this with my next bunch of dandelion greens just to see what happens. What do you guys do in the winter when vegetable/green selection is not great? My old beardie won't eat pellets or anything that isn't fresh or alive, so that complicates things. I haven't tried any commercially prepared food with the new guy yet. I read somewhere that vitamin B could be lost during the rehydration process (I guess if you cook them?), but I was thinking of taking the greens powder and 'tossing' the salad in it before serving. Any thoughts?

Freezing definitely breaks things down and causes important supplements to be lost. The cell walls become fragile and make rotting happen faster. I am an herbalist and can attest that powdering causing the same break down issue. Powdered things have a shorter shelf life. Even when I dry my leaves I try to keep them whole so they don't break down as fast and maintain their medicinal properties. Nothing is as good as fresh.

oatmeal

Original Poster
NatashaFatality":2klyw605 said:
Freezing definitely breaks things down and causes important supplements to be lost. The cell walls become fragile and make rotting happen fased things have a shorter shelf life. Even when I dry my leaves I try to keep them whole so they don't break down as fast and maintain their medicinal properties. Nothing is as good as fresh.

Oh, that's too bad! That's the only thing I've found tricky about raising a bearded dragon: I live on an island, and in the winter our vegetable selection (as far as leafy greens) is not great. I essentially have: herbs (parsley; cilantro; sometimes dill); kale; lettuces (green leaf, red leaf); bok choy; very rarely swiss chard. I travel more with my job than I did when I was younger, so I get to shop around a bit more, but it's still challenging and inconsistent!

Do you know anyone who grows food indoors? Maybe a local green house you could use? You could offer a small rental fee. I don't know what the availability of seeds are but you can order online. I have a grow shelf that I hope to use to grow my future dragon's food on since I like a lot of the same stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom