Thermometers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sddragons

Juvie Member
So I went out and picked up a couple different digital thermometers. I bought one of the little yellow oval zoo-med ones and an identical black one from zilla. Problem is whatever temp is showing and if you keep tapping on the power button the temp on the display just keeps going up so I don't really know what the real temp is.
Anyone ever noticed this before on these therms.?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I only use the accurite digital with probe so I'm not real familiar with the two brands you've mentioned. Do they have probes or are they the stick ons?

From what I've read from people who've had the stickons, they can measure the temps about 20 degrees off, either way.

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
They both have probes...

beardie parents":faa35 said:
I only use the accurite digital with probe so I'm not real familiar with the two brands you've mentioned. Do they have probes or are they the stick ons?

From what I've read from people who've had the stickons, they can measure the temps about 20 degrees off, either way.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
You know I've gone thru several digital probe thermometers because of the same problems.

My husband is a HVAC-R tech an one of his tools is a $380.00 temperature gauge with 2 seperate leads. I use to test my probes with it and found that very often they were up to 14* off. I've bought the digital probes sold for reptiles as well as radio shack and wal-mart ones and found that they all registered differently. Even when I'd find one that gave correct readings it would not continue to give correct reading for long. I just figured it was my bad luck with thermometers.

I purchased a infared temp gun some months back so my hubby could have his tool back. I don't know how I did it before I gone the gun. Checking temps is now a breeze. Best of all it reads and displays proper temps an I don't have to deal with the probe lead wires in my viv's. Also with 8 to 9 viv's in the house at all times that's alot of money to have even the cheaper ones in each viv. With the gun I walk thru the house checking everyones temps an in just a matter of a minute or 2 I'm done. :D

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh thx for the info. I have read of these guns. What brand is yours and where did you get it and how much?

fresnowitte":f58fc said:
You know I've gone thru several digital probe thermometers because of the same problems.

My husband is a HVAC-R tech an one of his tools is a $380.00 temperature gauge with 2 seperate leads. I use to test my probes with it and found that very often they were up to 14* off. I've bought the digital probes sold for reptiles as well as radio shack and wal-mart ones and found that they all registered differently. Even when I'd find one that gave correct readings it would not continue to give correct reading for long. I just figured it was my bad luck with thermometers.

I purchased a infared temp gun some months back so my hubby could have his tool back. I don't know how I did it before I gone the gun. Checking temps is now a breeze. Best of all it reads and displays proper temps an I don't have to deal with the probe lead wires in my viv's. Also with 8 to 9 viv's in the house at all times that's alot of money to have even the cheaper ones in each viv. With the gun I walk thru the house checking everyones temps an in just a matter of a minute or 2 I'm done. :D

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
mrjayd":11621 said:
Oh thx for the info. I have read of these guns. What brand is yours and where did you get it and how much?
I actually have a RadioShack one that sold for around $25 except the RadioShacks in our area have discontinues this particular one they do still carry a more expensive model. But they may still carry them in your area.

You can purchase one online for about $25 as well from several different reptile product sites I don't have a link ready to give you off hand, but I can try to find it for you if someone doesn't post one for you first. :)

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
You just point it at the spot you want to check the temp at and push the little button. Presto!
I usually check temps 2 to 3 times a day but I live in an old farm house where it is hard to keep the ambient temps in my home at a constant set temp. Which the ambient temps in your home will also affect the temps in your viv's. I imagine if you live in a more efficent home you won't need to check as often as I do.

You will not regret ordering a temp gun it has saved me so much time. An I'm no-longer constantly worrying if my temps are actually right or if the thermometer is off.

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Great thanks. I am looking forward to it. One more question then...Sorry. How do you measure and manage the humidity in your vivs and what is it supposed to be at?

Thanks again...

fresnowitte":4fa32 said:
You just point it at the spot you want to check the temp at and push the little button. Presto!
I usually check temps 2 to 3 times a day but I live in an old farm house where it is hard to keep the ambient temps in my home at a constant set temp. Which the ambient temps in your home will also affect the temps in your viv's. I imagine if you live in a more efficent home you won't need to check as often as I do.

You will not regret ordering a temp gun it has saved me so much time. An I'm no-longer constantly worrying if my temps are actually right or if the thermometer is off.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
mrjayd":7cf83 said:
How do you measure and manage the humidity in your vivs and what is it supposed to be at?
Personally I don't have to worry about humidity problems I don't use water dishes in my viv's because of the MVB's they cause it to evaporate which does create humidity. An I live in a rather dry climate. I believe that you want it to be 20% to 40% no higher. To much humidity can cause respiratory infections. As long as I don't use a water dish which they don't usually drink from anyhow and the temps are correct mine stay within that range.

However they make a gauge for that as well. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom