thermometer for bath water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear522

Can anyone tell me where to buy a thermometer for the bath water. We've had our beardie since Dec 27th and he really is not fond of a bath, definetly does not drink any water from it and i want to make sure he is getting enough water.

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Just put your wrist in the water and check that it is luke warm...like what you'd bathe a human baby in. Many dragons don't like their bath. But it is for his own good...just like many human kids don't like baths, but they have to take them. He will eventually get used to it and won't stress so much. Put a cloth in the bottom of his bath container so he doesn't slip.
Even tho he doesn't drink the water, it is absorbed thru his vent (where he poops).
What do you use for his bathtub?
Good luck
Patsy

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Bear522":aeed2 said:
okay, i didn't realize that is how they get water. We bath him in a 15-20 gal tank. with water up to his legs

You need to have the water up to his armpits, so his skin stays hydrated to make it easier to shed.
Good luck
Patsy

Minnie72

Hi,
I've had my baby for 2 weeks now. He is still hissing at me when I go near him and so as not to stress him out anymore than necessary have been spraying him with warm water every other day. Is this enough until he settles down a bit more ??

Minnie

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi... Are you also putting him in a bath at least every other day? If you are, you can probably go without the spraying. It does stress the babies to be sprayed usually. He may not like his bath either, but he will get used to it. And you MUST bathe him, especially when he is a baby, so he doesn't dehydrate under the hot lights.

Aren't babies so cute?!! Last week I had 17 babies hatch. I love watching them catch their crickets.
Good luck
Patsy

Minnie72

Thx for the advice.
The trouble is I can't pick him up !! He runs away and hisses !! Do you think it is wise for me to try it 2mora by doing it in his viv with a towel underneath a bowl of warm water ??

Minnie

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...If he is still a baby, let him hiss. He can't hurt you even if he does get some skin!! I pick mine up behind their neck so they couldn't bite even if they tried & I feel like I have more control if someone is a wiggler.
Do you have a Kritter Keeper? That is what I bathe my babies & juveniles in. I put the lid on so they can't jump out. Don't walk away tho, just in case he might get flipped over. He also needs to learn that he can't get his own way by hissing. When you want to pick him up, do it. But I would suggest only picking him up when it is a necessity for a few weeks. He can get dehydrated if he doesn't get his soakings.
Be patient
Good luck
Patsy

boxers

Hatchling Member
K9KidsLove":6a662 said:
He also needs to learn that he can't get his own way by hissing. When you want to pick him up, do it.

Hahaha, a lesson well remembered in the case of any pets. 8)

Minnie72

Thx for the advice Patsy, it really helped :D

Just thought I'd update you on Larry's 1st bath :lol:

I have 2 cricket keepers, 1 currently in use. I put luke warm water in the spare 1 so it would be up to his elbow. He hissed like mad and lunged for me a couple of times, but he knew he was fighting a loosing battle cos I picked him up hoooooorrrraaaay !! I cupped him between both hands and he did squirm, but settled down after 5 mins in the water. I kept him in there for 10 mins and will continue to do so every other day from now on.

This site has really opened my eyes to all the wrong info given to me by the breeder. It scares me that he has told me soooo many things I shouldn't have been doing. Thank god for this site :p

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Happy to help...been there done that!!
You can let him stay in the water for about 20 minutes each time. Just make sure the water stays warm. If your house is cool, you might need to add some more water to keep it warm.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom