BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Don't mention it, its what its here for. :mrgreen:

Glad it could help you.

-Brandon

Jess

Extreme Poster
Awesome job!! This is a great way to show newbies why it is so important to get a digital therm. Next you should test infrared/temp gun thermometers! :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Jess":1fn86q1b said:
Awesome job!! This is a great way to show newbies why it is so important to get a digital therm. Next you should test infrared/temp gun thermometers! :D

Definitely what I am going to test next. Along with how distance from the spot you are measuring from affects the temp, if it does at all with the IR/temp guns.

I just need to find which temp gun is the most commonly used so I can test that.

Oh, and thanks Jess. :D

-Brandon

Jess

Extreme Poster
^^^ I bought that one too! I haven't even opened it yet though, LOL. I think it would be interesting to see if there is a different in surface temp of an object vs. the air temp that the digital thermometer reads. I bought the temp gun mainly for my leos, since floor temp is more important to them than air temp.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Jess":2q4qpw3n said:
^^^ I bought that one too! I haven't even opened it yet though, LOL. I think it would be interesting to see if there is a different in surface temp of an object vs. the air temp that the digital thermometer reads. I bought the temp gun mainly for my leos, since floor temp is more important to them than air temp.

when I first opened it actually I was so mad - once you set the time on it it will show the ambient room temperature when it goes into standby mode (15 seconds without being touched) - well it was telling me that my house was 80 degrees when every digital therm and my actual house thermostat said it was 70 degrees - but it eventually went down. I haven't really played with it since the first day I opened it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
What an intelligent spam bot.

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind, he just copied one of my paragraphs.
No wonder I thought it was smart... it was something I wrote!
HARHAR :laughing6:

-Brandon

ChrisMiller

Hatchling Member
Good going man! Thanks for the info!

I wish someone would do something similar with digitals VS infrared. I am finding the infrareds to be extremely inaccurate. In fact, I am running 2 different digitals, a dial, and my infrared laser in the SAME spot in my cage and get a range of 30 degrees across the entire "collection". Kinda hard to tell which one is right and which is wrong when I can't even find two thermometers that read even close to the same temp! :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Thanks I am glad you like it.

I plan on testing IR/temp guns too I just need to get around to doing so. :D

-Brandon

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
ChrisMiller":2luke3uk said:
Good going man! Thanks for the info!

I wish someone would do something similar with digitals VS infrared. I am finding the infrareds to be extremely inaccurate. In fact, I am running 2 different digitals, a dial, and my infrared laser in the SAME spot in my cage and get a range of 30 degrees across the entire "collection". Kinda hard to tell which one is right and which is wrong when I can't even find two thermometers that read even close to the same temp! :D

Three different ways of taking temps.

IR temp gun = spot surface temps

Digital probe = small area temps

Dial = ambient air temp

My dial says 98ish (about 8" away from the basking surface, mounted on wall), probe says 103.7 (placed on the basking surface), temp gun 108 (basking surface).

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
WOW. Thank you for all of this info. I knew not to use a dial, but seeing this data is startling! I hope any beardie newbies read this thread!

F0rger

Oh man, I just went out and bought two dial thermometers and disposed of the plastic one that came with the tank. Looks like I'll be making another trip out to Petsmart for an electric thermometer.

My dragons will love me but my wallet will hate me.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Hi there.

Okay, so I just got this:

http://www.acurite.com/weather/thermometers/acurite-digital-indoor-outdoor-thermometer-with-humidity-clock-silver-00891a2.html

Will someone please tell me the absolute best way to make sure that I am getting accurate temp readings? Do I just leave it on the surface of his basking spot for 45 minutes?

And then take it out, get it to room temperature and then put it on the floor of his cool side? Should I mount it? And should I have gotten two? One for the cool side and one for the basking area?

Any input is very appreciated. I've only used temp guns, so I want to make sure I am doing this absolutely right.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Brandon,

I had not seen this post. Excellent job & very nice charts. :D
This is extremely helpful for everyone.
Thanks for posting it for all of us!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom