The 'Ultimate Feeder'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynnthedragon

Hatchling Member
Sweetie is right. They don't go far. I have had a few escapees since i've started my colony, All of them babies and found them all dead behind my dresser or under the colony bin. One or two in my bed while i was cleanning them as well but those were rescued and thrown back in the bin. The only weekly cleaning you need to do is just checking if any are dead. The dead ones smell really bad and you will beable to tell when there is a dead one in there! Other then that keep food and water in there at all times and you can ignore them :)

Emeraldcoast

Juvie Member
Dubia Males have wings. However, they can only flutter, not fly. They are very skittish and fast.

You do not have to separate the babies from the adults. I keep a feeder tank, and a breeder tank. I leave enough adults in both to keep them going. I draw from the feeder tank, and leave the breeding tank alone.

They cannot climb glass or plastic, unlike other roach species.

If they should escape, sometimes you will be lucky and find them. However, many will simply die, if not found.

I spilled a container of 200+ babies, and some adults. I am still finding them. lol Dubia Roaches are not a infestation species of roach.

I feed them what I feed my dragons. Greens, Dragon Bites, (feeders only: potatoes, carrots,) etc.

I also have cooked the silkworm chow for my Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches, and Superworms. The Hissers definitely went for it. I am still measuring the response to it by the Dubia's.

NOTE: If you buy Silkworm Chow....Be very careful when you cook it. You must cook it twice.
I take @ 4 tbsp's of the powder, mix it well in hot water, and cook it in the microwave on high for
2 minutes and 30 seconds. I make sure that it is mixed well, halfway in between. I then cook it
for 1 minute and 30 seconds more. It will be EXTREMELY HOT. I suffered 2nd degree burns when I
accidentally spilled it. I add 1-2 ice cubes, mix it again until they melt, and place it in the freezer
close to the air vent. I leave it there for approximately 8-10 minutes. It will set, but not be
frozen. Make sure it has cooled down b4 using it. I mix it up with a fork, and place small portions
in the food area for the feeders. I make only what I need at that moment.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I feed mine dog food & oranges, they especially like oranges. I also make sure there are water crystals in there fresh at all times. Other wise, like Flynnthedragon said, I leave them alone. It takes 6 mo for a baby to grow into an adult. I`ve been told that if you put a heating pad underneath them, they breed faster, but I`ve never bothered with that as my living is heated all winter because I have a gecko in a mesh tank that likes it warm. So good luck with your new colony!

Emeraldcoast

Juvie Member
When I find a dead superworm, roach, etc., I feed it to my superworms. I get my money's worth, "Dead Or Alive". lol

I open the roach up some, if it is fresh, and the superworms devour it. It is a great way to get more protein into the superworm. lol

Gross, but it works! Baby supers jump all over, er, uhhh, IN it. :lol:

Just a side note: Dog food is generally not recommended for Beardies. It is not a natural food for them. It has additives and ingredients that may be hard on a Beardie's digestive system.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
The dog food I buy is organic & I also have organic roach chow that a friend uses, but they seem to prefer the dog food. I have no acces to silkworm food & have no idea what else they can eat, as I know they need protein. I've put greens in before but they wouldn't touch it. I'll have to do more homework!

jezwolf175

Sub-Adult Member
I will then invest in roach chow...Also for the meantime what is the best substitute for it? Definetly gonna gutload them too. Thanx again for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom