The REAL Slim Shady! (Anniversry Edition!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! I just got my beardie, Slim, a few days ago. My dad called him Slim Shady as a joke and it stuck!

I thought I'd keep a diary-type thing here like many of you seem to do. Every day I get so excited about him, I want to keep some kind of log of his growth. I also want to eventually post a picture of the underside of his tail to get some help sexing him.

Day 1, 11/24/12: Taking him home in a Kritter Keeper. I wanted him to come around on his own, so I put the box he came in in the Keeper and let him come out gradually during the car ride.

604094_10200111640856415_1475660546_n.jpg

He's so adorable, and a little rascal, too! Here are some other pics of him during our first week together:

Cuddling with mommy!
59649_10200124152649202_1395310785_n.jpg

Like the poster child for cuteness.
483569_10200123778199841_1383655870_n.jpg

Sleepy time!
704440_10200124359414371_1314729809_o.jpg

"Check out my sexy curves!"
374522_10200124152849207_1737942040_n.jpg

Loving his new hammock.
704575_10200130910538145_1429029583_o.jpg

The first day he didn't eat much, being new to his environment and all. It took a few days, but by day two or three he was wolfing down crickets like it was his day job. He's still warming up to me, very very slowly, but today I saw lots of progress! I dipped a few mealworms in some baby food (I know mealworms aren't ideal, but the store is out of crickets and I'm waiting on a shipment still) and fed them to him, then actually got him to lick some off my finger! He loves Gerber's organic squash baby food... it's just organic squash and water. :)

He's still not entirely trusting of me... unless I have food in my hands, of course. But hopefully this thread evolves to include more good news about him coming around. :love5:

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I noticed Jace and Zy LOVE to go wherever there is dust. :roll: :lol:
You two are such a cute couple and boy is he handsome!

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah, he refuses to poop in the bath. Literally the only places good enough for him are my couch, my carpet, and his freshly cleaned tank.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just a quick update to say that a) I'm sorry for being so MIA! and b) Slim is doing well, but is currently a little skinny. He fattened up after beating Coccidia and now all of a sudden isn't eating much. He hasn't pooped in a few days so I'm fearing impaction, but I'm sure he'll leave me with a nice present in a day or two and will be fine. If not by this weekend, I'm taking him first thing Saturday to see the vet.

I have a SLEW of pictures to upload, which I'll do ASAP. Hope you all are doing well!

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey there!
I've been back and forth with Tracie about him. He's still not eating much but hes' not losing weight either, so we think he's in a slow down/brumation. He did poop the other day and ate a few crix yesterday though so I'm hoping he's pulling out of it!

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Zy's starting to slow down as well. She's only eating greens and barely that and hasn't lost any weight. I'm starting to hate this time of year.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Today is the one year anniversary since I brought Slim home!!! :D :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :D

I feel bad for disappearing for MONTHS, but things have been pretty hectic. Since pretty much June, Slim had stopped eating altogether and was showing lots of signs of brumation, and was driving me nuts because it seemed like he'd NEVER snap out of it. Then he started to lose substantial weight, so I had to take him in for a checkup. A fecal test, vet visit, and very expensive impaction X Ray later... I was basically just told to start force feeding him, because there was nothing wrong with him and no reason he shouldn't have been eating. The X Rays also showed him to be anorexic.

So I started slowly force-feeding him critical care, and after a few days of that, he started eating crickets again. And, as of yesterday, I think he's well on the road to being the same crazy, mischievous beardie he was! He's gaining weight, and yesterday he went absolutely NUTS with a crazy burst of energy, and he's been glass dancing ever since. He's pooping more regularly now, shedding in small places here and there, and eating crickets as if they were the last source of food on earth.

Unfortunately, he isn't eating his veggies yet, but I'm gut loading the crickets with nice, supplemented salads and making sure to coat them thoroughly in vitamins and calcium.

I just want to thank Tracie for all the help she's given me. She talked to me on and off via messages for MONTHS and really kept me sane through his odd behavior. I learned a lot from her and wouldn't have known what to do otherwise! :study:

So anyway, today marks one year since I got this (not so little) guy... and it's been a very stressful, expensive, worrisome ride, but so beyond worth all the joy this little scaly wonder brings me.

I love him to death.

1461860_10202814912956528_1841171273_n.jpg

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you!! He's definitely gaining weight and eating MUCH more. Only thing now is getting him back into veggies... he's a little too fond of crickets for his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toothadash
Top Bottom