the pet store said...

Status
Not open for further replies.

theimmortaljedi

Hatchling Member
I bought my beardie fresh worms in a can. It says refrigate after open. I was wonder how long they will keep. They are not alive. The side says never by live again. They say if I keep it the fridge it will stay good for up to a year. This sounds wrong to me. Are they telling the truth?
thanks

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Personally I would never use the canned dead bugs unless of an emergency....such as some type of natural disaster an I couldn't get any live ones. I would think they loose some of the nutritional value if they are not live feeders. As for how long they can be stored sorry I have no idea.

What kind of worms are they?

PS
I can't help but wonder how can they call them fresh if they are dead? :roll:

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Unfortunately, mealworms don't have much nutritional value when they are alive.

Are you feeding these as a main protein staple for your beardie? Live feeders are a much better feeder and your beardie will also enjoy them more!

As for how long they last in the fridge...I don't know either. A year sounds like an awful long time, to keep "anything" in the fridge.

Dawn :D

HUMBOLDTGUY

any time i see someone on here talking about what pet stores say i wanna pull my hair out.....pet store owners and employees have no clue what they are talking about....when i got my beardie everything they told me was wrong....and i mean everything
1- told me she ws a male
2-told me to keep warm side 80-90 degrees
3-told me to buy a red light to keep her warm at night cause they "cant see it"
4-told me to feed her 10 crickets a day
5-told me i needed calcium sand
6-told me i needed a heating pad
7-sold me a piece o kaka uvb light
im sure theres more im forgetting but you get the picture....never ask them anything except the price of crickets

8--oh yeah....they told me she was 4 months old but im pretty sure she was about a yr old

HUMBOLDTGUY

gulfbrzdawn":d8363 said:
As for how long they last in the fridge...I don't know either. A year sounds like an awful long time, to keep "anything" in the fridge.

Dawn :D

they last a very long time...we used to feed em to our quail....the cool thing about em is you can put them in the freezer and whn they thaw out they will still be alive.....they will keep in the frige forever though...when they get cold they pretty much completely shut down....so i guess the pet store was right about something....thats amazing :)

TheRedDragonAkaRed

Hatchling Member
ANYTHING PET STORES SAY IS PROBLY USELESS I HATE 2 OUT OF THE 3 IN MY AREA [comment edited by moderator] SO FARE I HAVENT REALLY GOT ANYTHING FROM THE THIRD PET SHOP......

DO NOT UNDERANY SERCUMSTANCES TRUST A PET SHOP THEY WILL DO ANYTHING FOR MONEY

I WENT TO BUY A COUPLE FISH AND I DIDNT BUY ABOUT 90% OF WHAT SHE TOLD ME TO BUY AND IT STILL COSTS 70$

THATS WITHOUT THE TANK FILTER LIGHT HEATER...SO FIGURE THAT OUT AND I DIDNT BUY MOST OF WHAT SHE RECOMENDED...

ALSO IVE BEEN RECOMEDNED (AND BOUGHT) RETI GLO 10 LIGHT FROM BOTH PLACES...

[inappropriate comment for a PG-13 forum removed by moderator]

READ A BOOK I TRUST MY OWN RESEARCH BEFORE A PET SHOP [bad word removed by moderator]

ANY QUESTIONS POST ON THIS SITE OR ANY OTHERONE AND SOMEONE WHO REALLY CARES WILL HELP YOU

AS FOR WHAT ACTUAL QUESSTON YOU ASKED "I DONT KNOW"....(I BET YOU WONT HER THOSE WORDS FROM A PET SHOP OWNER.)

theimmortaljedi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info. That's awful that pet stores are the stupid and don't know! Their should be laws about them having to partner with real breeders. Unfair to both the buyer and the pet to give the wrong and bad info to an owner.

Lcbova85

yes! some pet stores workers dont know what they are talking about, but there are actually ALOT of people who work in pet stores that know what they are talking about. Every place i have been they have known from experience, and if they didn't know something they either look through a book or tell me they honestly dont know, so they dont waster my time. its not very fair to judge pet stores by one person. sorry if i started anything

HUMBOLDTGUY

Lcbova85":bf3df said:
yes! some pet stores workers dont know what they are talking about, but there are actually ALOT of people who work in pet stores that know what they are talking about. Every place i have been they have known from experience, and if they didn't know something they either look through a book or tell me they honestly dont know, so they dont waster my time. its not very fair to judge pet stores by one person. sorry if i started anything
i would never judge them all by one person....i judge them by every person that works in all 4 of the pet stores here in humboldt

Lcbova85

im not saying you are judging. just in general. i just know pet stores around here, one person knows nothing, and another one knows a whole lot about what u are asking about. not all pet stores are stupid

Lovethelife07

Hatchling Member
HUMBOLDTGUY":9de80 said:
1- told me she ws a male
2-told me to keep warm side 80-90 degrees
3-told me to buy a red light to keep her warm at night cause they "cant see it"
4-told me to feed her 10 crickets a day
5-told me i needed calcium sand
6-told me i needed a heating pad
7-sold me a piece o kaka uvb light
im sure theres more im forgetting but you get the picture....never ask them anything except the price of crickets

8--oh yeah....they told me she was 4 months old but im pretty sure she was about a yr old
lol my pet store *as advice given to a new owner*:
9-keep them on sand...it looks cooler and its so much better for their feet
what a bunch of buttheads! lol

Lovethelife07

Hatchling Member
man...hell if i know...
petsmart was the worse place *for beardies* ive ever seen...they had them on calcisand...a billion crickets in the cage and the babies *MAYBE 3 inches max* seemed to be sleeping.
then the lady asked me as the checkout why i wasnt buying sand lol i said its horrible im my opinion and the risk of impaction is not worth me losing my baby over...she kinda shut up after that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom