The little guy - Natsu

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago, after much research and thought, I finally got my own reptile and technically my first one. My little beardie Natsu :) he's a cute little guy but very stubborn. He won't eat greens yet and he let's some crickets stay stray but other than that he seems to be a healthy little lizard ;) even with looking into these guys he is my first, so it's been a lot of trial and error lately. Maybe some help ? He gets in spurts to eat, and his tank isn't warm enough for him yet. I need to get him a better light for his big tank. And maybe a small heating pad for the bottom of the tank.? Other than that guys I think he's been doing fine besides tempature which will all be handled tomorrow because I mean, I love this dude :)

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Cute little dude :D . Don't worry about him not eating greens . He needs way more protein right now. Can you give a rundown of his set up? Lights? Temps? How you take them? How big is the enclosure?

HunterBuusta

Original Poster
<--- that's the set up. It's a 55 gallon. It's pretty deep so I don't think it's hitting the proper temps. I run AC in my room so I want to change that. Ground level is hitting about 75-80. Where he sits on the log it's about 90. I have to run the basking bulb a lot right now because I don't want it to get too cold. I'm running to the store today to pick up some things to make it easier. :eek:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He's a cute little guy. How tall is that tank? About 18'' or so? I would pick up a 150w ZooMed basking bulb to put into the basking fixture (assuming it's rated to 150w, double check that first and pick one up if needed). Make sure you're using a reliable thermometer (temp gun or digital thermometer w/probe) to get accurate readings on the basking surface so you can adjust your lighting properly. For UVB, I'd replace that socket style bulb and get a tube and put it over next to the basking bulb. That way you'll get a nice even distribution of UVB across the basking area. The compact fluorescent bulbs are very intense right under the bulb but don't give off enough power to be useful at much height and don't give off a very wide beam so for basking purposes they really don't cut it. The idea is to try and replicate natural sunlight as closely as possible which means you'll want heat (100-110 in the basking area), bright white light, and fairly strong UVB exposure in one area while providing a gradient with shady areas down to the cool side of the tank which should have low/no UVB exposure (hides and fake plants can accomplish this) and a temp of about 75-85 during the day. You should be able to pick up the basking bulb at a local pet store without much issue but for a good UVB light setup you may need to order online. I have a couple of good options.

This fixture http://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904296-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUBDQ
With this bulb http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun-10-0-Lamp/dp/B00AQU8HAO/

Or this combo set http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

The rest of your setup looks pretty good to me. Once you have the heat and lighting dialed in, you should have a pretty happy little guy on your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom