The environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some87

With the petco sale it's like $75 off what they would normally be. For the floresent light fixture go to Walmart and pick up the one they have there for like $10. It should be a 24" one. It mount it inside the tank just use some velcrow. Just make sure you put that on the same side as the basking light. Walmart also has a surge protector with a timer on it that's digital. It's also cheaper than the ones zoo meds makes.
http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/25084471?adid=1500000000000012981640&veh=mweb

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So here's a care sheet for the painted agama or painted dragon.

http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/painted-dragon.html

And here's another one:
http://www.cyberlizard.plus.com/laudakia_stellio.htm

So there's a reason why he won't eat greens, it's because they're insectivores and really don't need greens. Seems from this they don't need calcium either, just vit/min.

And if you check out the picture, it is quite similar to yours. The 40 gallon is the best size so you got a good tank for it, now you can get the proper substrate, etc, that your agama needs.

I kept frowning at the picture, thinking I'd never seen a bearded dragon with those type of colours and now I know why. Here's a pic of my brightest and smallest dragon, Didi, you can see that the markings are quite different:

I took it for granted that you just had a small beardie, when what you really have is a large agama! Looks like they don't need calcium, either according to the care sheets.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
But he is a beautiful painted agama & very friendly, from what I can see. So hope the care sheets help you give this little guy a good home in the new tank. Use playsand and not calci-sand when you're getting the tank together, it's healthier for them. And keep in touch, I've never known anyone who had a healthy painted agama!

packerfannate

Original Poster
Interesting. Is it common to try to pass an Agama off as a Bearded Dragon? The kid I got him from had no clue and had been raising him as a bearded dragon. I wouldn't have known any different had I not learned it from this board. I believe he bought a kit.

In any case he seems happy and healthy. He loves to be held and is very curious. I had no idea a reptile could have so much personality.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sure that the young man had no idea, they are sometimes mislabeled as beardies at reptile shoes and pet stores. This is especially true if they're called painted " dragons " rather than what they really are, painted agamas. I vended at a show about 15 years ago and another vendor had them marked as orange bearded dragons. I don't think they are that common in the pet trade, but a store should know the difference, especially since these are almost always wild caught and so somewhere in the transport to their final destination they get mislabeled.

I personally think they are great lizards, and yours appears to have been cared for very well.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What a cute lizard! Sorry to hear about the confusion, but I can't say I blame you, they are strikingly similar. I've never seen one before! Good luck with the little guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom