The Dreaded MDF !

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbies2

Hi all,
new ish to the site but not beardies, just thought i'd pop a pic of my latest 4x2x2 viv on as in my area theres a lot of debate over the use of mdf !
All constructive criticism welcome, its approx 97% complete i would say, and i never put the plinths inside the viv when floor standing, as my beardies have always climbded in & out at will, although when i started many years ago i did buy standard construction vivs...

many thanks
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbies2/5385944340

Robbie

robbies2

Original Poster
sort of, thought of many ways and saw many ideas online, however i opted for the presealed cork floor which isnt sealed around edges but at a cost of only £3.20 for the whole floor the individual tiles are easily replaced, approx 40p each, of course the mdf not being spill proof is the downfall !

Many Thanks

Robbie

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
i have used tiles on the floor of my viv, the sicky ones, i used glue gun to make sure there stuck firmly, we have them really cheap over ere , and the f10 spray as soo as a poop apears and bobs ya uncle, the same tiles have been down for over a year and have not even been scratched , we can get 6 for £2.50 . exellent well worth it proven use. you can get them in any colour and also in black slate which i have down (awsome)

booberboo

What was the controversy around MDF? Just that it's not spill-proof, or were there any other concerns?

I am planning to build my dragons new vivs this summer, and was thinking about using MDF so it's good to hear about other's experiences.

robbies2

Original Poster
yea basically its ability to absorb moisture like a sponge ! Have been told recently by a local herp shop that yacht varnish is non toxic to reptiles but cant vouch for that personally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom