The difference in UVB lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering what the difference is between using ReptiGlo and ReptiSun UVB lights... most people do not recommend using ReptiSun, but I have tested both with my beardie, and they seem to be exactly the same. Why is ReptiGlo recommeded over ReptiSun? :study:

thegreybush

Juvie Member
Well....

According to the established doctrine here on this site, your information is backwards. It's actually Repti-sun that is recommended over Repti-glo. The short version is that there was a period of time prior to 2007 where the UVB tube manufacturing companies were using unsafe phosphors to make their lights resulting in a dangerous amount of UVC light to escape with the UVB bulbs. This was causing an increase in occurrences of photokeratoconjunctivitis in reptiles and even death in some baby reptiles. Research was done that proved Repti-sun was the highest quality bulb on the market to date. Many of the other manufacturers like Exo-Terra claim to have changed the phosphors in their Repti-glo lights to make them safe again. Even with that change it took time for all of the previously manufactured lights to go off of the market. Repti-glo still carries this stigma and there has been no solid evidence provided yet proving that they are safe, however studies are going on. The choice to trust the Repti-glo brand is ultimately up to the consumer and is recommended to be used at a 10" distance with a bright basking light next to it to discourage reptiles from looking into the UVB light.

I applaud your contribution by having experience with both of them and contributing your experience to our collection on this site. Some effects take time to build up to a problem. I personally use Repti-glo bulbs with little fear but a high awareness of when something is not normal with my dragons. Some others here have attributed health issues to their own use of the bulbs. All sources have to be fairly considered as many posters here are experienced caregivers.

There has been much debate that you can easily find on these forums regarding the Repti-sun/Repti-glo comparison and its all good to take in in order to make the most educated decision for yourself.

Cheers!

Mark

AutumnFire

Original Poster
Wow that's really interesting :idea: thanks for all the information! I've been trying to work out the issue for ages, now I've got my answer :)
thegreybush":23umsdzd said:
Well....

According to the established doctrine here on this site, your information is backwards. It's actually Repti-sun that is recommended over Repti-glo. The short version is that there was a period of time prior to 2007 where the UVB tube manufacturing companies were using unsafe phosphors to make their lights resulting in a dangerous amount of UVC light to escape with the UVB bulbs. This was causing an increase in occurrences of photokeratoconjunctivitis in reptiles and even death in some baby reptiles. Research was done that proved Repti-sun was the highest quality bulb on the market to date. Many of the other manufacturers like Exo-Terra claim to have changed the phosphors in their Repti-glo lights to make them safe again. Even with that change it took time for all of the previously manufactured lights to go off of the market. Repti-glo still carries this stigma and there has been no solid evidence provided yet proving that they are safe, however studies are going on. The choice to trust the Repti-glo brand is ultimately up to the consumer and is recommended to be used at a 10" distance with a bright basking light next to it to discourage reptiles from looking into the UVB light.

I applaud your contribution by having experience with both of them and contributing your experience to our collection on this site. Some effects take time to build up to a problem. I personally use Repti-glo bulbs with little fear but a high awareness of when something is not normal with my dragons. Some others here have attributed health issues to their own use of the bulbs. All sources have to be fairly considered as many posters here are experienced caregivers.

There has been much debate that you can easily find on these forums regarding the Repti-sun/Repti-glo comparison and its all good to take in in order to make the most educated decision for yourself.

Cheers!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom