The Basking Temperature Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I was just reading the beardie care article in the latest issue of Reptiles Magazine (October, I believe). All in all, I agreed with most of what was said, but of course everyone has varying opinions.

Basking spot temperatures for hatchlings to juveniles should be around 105 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. For adults, lizards 10 to 12 months old, the hotspot should be 115 to 130 degrees.
First of all, I was under the impression that hatchlings and juvies should be kept a bit warmer than adults to aid their weak immune systems. Does anyone know the reason behind this persons' thinking? Also, I have generally heard that basking temps of 100-105* is recommended. Has anybody had any luck with higher basking temps?

If your dragons spends the majority of its time basking and doesn't forage all around the enclosure, your basking temps are probably too cool.
These lizards like to bask, and once they're properly warmed up, they go about daily activities such as exploring, foraging, and feeding.

What are your opinions? Which better suits beardies; short, hot periods of basking or longer periods of basking at a slightly cooler temp? Which methods have you tried?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hey Maya,

Interesting information. It was my understanding that in addition to aiding the immune system, the higher temps for babies and young juvies is because of the large amount of feeders they consume; the higher the temps, the better/more throrough the digestion. That said, temps of 105-110 seem more than sufficient toward that end. I can tell you one thing, any higher than that, and Cloudy will not bask and any more (she is nearing a year now), she seems to like them more in the area of 95-105. Indeed, if basking temps are "too high" this is when she tends to walk about the viv, rather than the reverse, because she's wanting to avoid the basking area.

I think the most curious things about the information you've quoted is that (1) they are considering 10-12 month old lizards, "adults" and then (2) have the temps actually increasing rather than decreasing, the decrease being what most of the literature I've read has advised (and of course, bd.org :mrgreen: ). The amount of live feeders tends to come down considerably during this time so it stands to reason that the higher temps are no longer necessary.

Just .02 for whatever that's worth. :dontknow:

I'd be curious as to what others think about this as well. There seems to be no end to the conflicting information, yes? :?

The best,
Em

ETA: Cloudy while a juvie (once she was under a good UVB that is), did little else but bask and eat all day. That said, she did have a lot of making up to do. Now that she's getting a bit older, she likes more frequent "out of the viv" time, and tends to bask for shorter periods with out and about time thrown in... she tends to do most of her most concentrated/long period basking first thing in the am, and then last thing before snuggle/bed time.

bjvolk2

Tyson prefers his basking spot between 95 to 100, when it was getting closer to 110 he didn't bask at all except for a couple minutes here and there. I also noticed he ate better when it was a little cooler and tended to be more active. He is a year old by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom