Terrarium Sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello Everyone,

My beardie is still young but he is growing very fast. I would like to start thinking how I am going to get him a bigger size terrarium. I know there is custom built ones and was wondering what is a good size to get. Is 48 inches wide enough or should i get one that is 55 inches or more? I want him to be happy and a lot of room to still walk around and enjoy it. I also need to do some measuring around the house because the petstore people said 36 inches would be only biggest tank size you would need. Starting to think he will be big and not be able to move around. What do you guys recommend or your thoughts? They can get pretty pricy so would like to start "saving" some money for his new terrarium :D

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
As you know we here on this board don't really trust pet store advice, lol! 36" doesn't leave much for wiggle room for a full grown dragon. It is doable but cramped. Your dragon needs a nice kingdom to watch over from his favorite limb or log high above (about 10 to 12") . The width amd length are the most important to a dragonn, being able to turn around and move to one end or the other without half of his body still being on the other end. 4' long and 2' wide are optimum but you want at least 2' of height or higher ( up to 3' ) to give him plenty of climbing room. 2' works best because it is easier to heat and get good gradients across the viv.
I know....clear as mud now, lol!!!

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Gormagon":dsiwj0gm said:
As you know we here on this board don't really trust pet store advice, lol! 36" doesn't leave much for wiggle room for a full grown dragon. It is doable but cramped. Your dragon needs a nice kingdom to watch over from his favorite limb or log high above (about 10 to 12") . The width amd length are the most important to a dragonn, being able to turn around and move to one end or the other without half of his body still being on the other end. 4' long and 2' wide are optimum but you want at least 2' of height or higher ( up to 3' ) to give him plenty of climbing room. 2' works best because it is easier to heat and get good gradients across the viv.
I know....clear as mud now, lol!!!

I know right... well in the beginning their logic seemed right to me since i was a complete noob :lol: Ever since I came onto this forum , has changed dramatically. Knowing he loves to climb as he loves his beloved branch... and right now the height of his terrarium i believe is 18 inches, hence why i have a 150w basking bulb in there but didn't know if maybe it should be a bit lower or just keep it the same height? I also don't like the terrariums with the doors on top to feed. Open a tiny hole on top and then to even get stuff out you have to remove the top completely. I like the doors in the front, easier access and easily to remove things when you need to clean up. Is there some place that lets you customize terrariums other than finding these already packaged ones together aka useless kits and junk inside ? :lol: :roll:

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I recently found a melamine 2x2x4 for 75.00 in my area.

I know ... why do I need another one? I have been kicking around the idea of getting another dragon in my head, but I can't say it out loud cause Peaches might get mad at me and burn the house down (She has a bit of a jealous streak),lol!!!

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Wow nice! if you find another one let me know :lol: Make sure peaches doesn't know or see it :wink: or you might be seeing the blackbeard :evil: :twisted: :angry5:
Thats pretty funny so if you get another dragon you going to call it cream? Awe Peaches and Cream :p

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I measured my terrarium. Outside is 18 inches but on the inside is 16 inches. Also, been measuring around the house and found good length spot that the most i can have in that area length/wide wise is 58 inches. So is 48 inches the minimize size for an adult or should i go a bit bigger like 55 inches or so?

18 inches depth isn't going to be wide enough i don't think either so maybe 24 inches depth would be good so he has some room to turn around in and feel comfortable. Does this sound right?

charmander16

Juvie Member
Just look around on craigslist. You can setup alerts and stuff as well you send you e-mails when stuff matches your criteria.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Reptilelady":iezr7z1v said:
I measured my terrarium. Outside is 18 inches but on the inside is 16 inches. Also, been measuring around the house and found good length spot that the most i can have in that area length/wide wise is 58 inches. So is 48 inches the minimize size for an adult or should i go a bit bigger like 55 inches or so?

18 inches depth isn't going to be wide enough i don't think either so maybe 24 inches depth would be good so he has some room to turn around in and feel comfortable. Does this sound right?
You can go 72" if you want, the more the better and, 24" is plenty wide. I still wouldn't go much over 24 tall, may 28" max to cut down on possible injuries, because as much as they like to climb, they will jump from anything (they think they can fly)!

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
Gormagon":mgopg4of said:
Reptilelady":mgopg4of said:

You can go 72" if you want, the more the better and, 24" is plenty wide. I still wouldn't go much over 24 tall, may 28" max to cut down on possible injuries, because as much as they like to climb, they will jump from anything (they think they can fly)!
this is why they are called Bearded "Dragons" right? :p
many suggest a 75 Gallon. but they are expensive!! that why I have a 55, they are smaller, but the dragons love it :D

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Right? Mine has tried flying off and didn't work so as a result he puffed up and was real mad :angry5: :lol:
Thanks guys for your suggestions.
I found this link: http://www.anapsid.org/resources/tanksize.html
I will have to wait and see how he grows up. Last week he was 26 grams. This week he is 40 grams. He is growing so quick! Its so crazy how i just remembered him being so tiny and now hes outgrowing his log that i had to turn it differently and so he can be more comfortable.

The larger tank size the cost will be pretty pricey.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Reptilelady":366jinvs said:
Wow nice! if you find another one let me know :lol: Make sure peaches doesn't know or see it :wink: or you might be seeing the blackbeard :evil: :twisted: :angry5:
Thats pretty funny so if you get another dragon you going to call it cream? Awe Peaches and Cream :p
Or if its a male call him Herb, lol! Peaches and, Herb :D

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Gormagon":1rkidin0 said:
Reptilelady":1rkidin0 said:
Or if its a male call him Herb, lol! Peaches and, Herb :D

LOL nice one Gormagon! Has a nice ring to it too :blob5: :blob8: :mrgreen:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BeardieLover232":10rz8xcn said:
Gormagon":10rz8xcn said:
Reptilelady":10rz8xcn said:

this is why they are called Bearded "Dragons" right? :p
many suggest a 75 Gallon. but they are expensive!! that why I have a 55, they are smaller, but the dragons love it :D

For an hatchling to a 15 months old juvenile you can get away with a 100L to 150L rearing tub in a pinch.
A comfortable size viv for an adult bearded dragon is 4ft L x 2ft W x 2ft H , if you can build a viv with a larger footprint , even better, bigger is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom