Tempreture questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellers

Hi Guys and Gals

Here is my issue, My digital thermometer is reading 115-120 degrees on Riley's Basking spot. Im only using a Euro Rep 60w red heat bulb, Riley sits under it but with his mouth slightly open but the other end of the tank is at about 82 is this ok. Im also changing his substrate to slate tiles today, any idea if this will help?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello!

What type of digital thermometer are you using? Does it have a long wire w/probe end?
Beardies really need a bright white basking bulb to help protect their eyes from the UVB and to help simulate natural sunlight. Please remove the red light and replace with a bright white basking bulb or household bulb.
Basking temps should range between 95-110 and coolside 78-82.

Ellers

Original Poster
This is what I hate the guy at the pet shop (the reptile expert) said a red bulb is fine, I am really starting to hate that place

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
I have given up listening to petshops. The local one has a man that has his own dragons and I thought he would know what was what, but he doesnt. It has cost me a lot of money and heartache so far, but things are improving :) Hang in there, with the help of the people on this site you will soon be on track :)

Could I ask something? The Acurite thermometer is mentioned a lot, but I live in the UK and was wondering if there was a good one recommended for over here as all the sites I have seen are american sites. Thanks (and sorry for hijacking your thread) :)

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Yes, unfortunately the pet stores do not always have the best advice. They are "generally" in the business of selling animals and therefore do not educate themselves on how to properly care for them. It is very sad. Most of our members have come here seeking advice after they received what they thought to be "knowledgable" advice from a pet store owner/employee.

DoubleJ... I am not sure if their are any international sites that you can get the AcuRite thermometer. I do know that the Exo Terra digital thermometer with probe is used by many UK members and seems to be pretty reliable. I found one at this site http://www.petzoo.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=759 You can always get an infrared temperature gun as well.

Hope this helps! :D

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Well it depends on the size of the viv and your home temps. The bulb needs to be a bright white(not soft white)bulb... generally the halogen flood lights are great.
Some times you have to experiment with different watt bulbs to get the desired temps. An accurate thermometer is a must for this as well.
You could start with a 60W and see what temps you get, but you may need a higher watt bulb depending on the size of your viv.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
gulfbrzdawn":30h6zubu said:
DoubleJ... I am not sure if their are any international sites that you can get the AcuRite thermometer. I do know that the Exo Terra digital thermometer with probe is used by many UK members and seems to be pretty reliable. I found one at this site http://www.petzoo.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=759 You can always get an infrared temperature gun as well.

Hope this helps! :D

Thank you very much :) I will check it out right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom