Temporary Plastic Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

volvotech

Hatchling Member
Just purchased a young adult leucistic over the weekend and I'm currently trying to figure out a cage situation for her. She's currently in a 20gal, but it's really not big enough for her. I'm going to be building custom enclosures over the coming semester break (December-January) and do not want to purchase another large aquarium.

Is a clear, plastic bin a suitable enclosure for the time being, provided I can get the lighting, temp, etc. right? I'm looking to purchase something like this:
plastic-tub.jpg

I've got no plans to keep her in that for good, just for about a month. Thanks in advance for the opinions!

jon21388

Juvie Member
volvotech":2tmok7kz said:
Just purchased a young adult leucistic over the weekend and I'm currently trying to figure out a cage situation for her. She's currently in a 20gal, but it's really not big enough for her. I'm going to be building custom enclosures over the coming semester break (December-January) and do not want to purchase another large aquarium.

Is a clear, plastic bin a suitable enclosure for the time being, provided I can get the lighting, temp, etc. right? I'm looking to purchase something like this:
plastic-tub.jpg

I've got no plans to keep her in that for good, just for about a month. Thanks in advance for the opinions!

personally i wouldn't do it. But i dont see the problem with using that as a tank. If you can get everything to the right temperature have a cold and hot side, get the necessary UVB and the correct humidity it would be fine. Make sure there is ventilation. I would check out craigslist in your state and see if anyone is giving away tanks for free or a small fee. Just the other day someone gave away a 75 gallon tank for free, unfortunately i was about a hour late emailing the person for it.

bambichik39

Juvie Member
Try a reptarium (sp?) I think they are called. Its an all screen tank. I ordered one for Pablo for outside, but put him in there while I clean out his tank, etc, or if I need to take him somewhere for awhile (like if the power goes out and I take him to someones house). It folds up EASY and was like 30 bucks from lllreptile.com Its a good investment I think. I know our power went out just last Monday due to a transformer blowing, and it was out for 3 hours. One more hour out and I would of had to transport my reptiles to my boyfriends to get everyone warm (temps were dropping quick at night), so it was one less thing to worry about knowing I had that easy set up that I can easily fit into my small car.
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/-/65-gallon-basic-reptarium/
Theres a link, I would never suggest this as a permanent home, but as temporary housing I don't see the issue with it. I can keep Pablo in his for hours while his tiles dry out and his temps stay up nicely. Just a thought...

volvotech

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I set my leucistic up in the plastic enclosure with a screen top and haven't had any issues so far (aside from the relocation stress). The sides are clear enough that she can still watch the room and the temps seem to be fine. For anyone looking for a good alternative to aquariums, I'd definitely recommend the 110L plastic tub. For $20 bucks the dragon's now got a 3' x 18" setup...a hard price to beat.

My Turtle has been in a similar type of bin until I was able to afford a custom made large enclosure for her.

like this:

4941668410_6d441cecc2.jpg

she is comfortable in it, but thankfully now I have my pretty and spacious one for her. I doubt that approximately ONE month would do your lizard harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
My name is Faith
Top Bottom