Temporary Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 20 gallon tank for a younger beardie I am getting as a temporary home until I get paid next week and get a larger one. I was just wondering about temporary heat/lighting for her until next week, because when I get the bigger tank, I want to use a MVB if I can find one in the town I live in. I went and asked a few of the employees at a pet store and they couldn't give me one single answer. One kept saying I should use a 50W bulb and a small ceramic heater and another said I could just use a 50W Zoo Med Basking Spot Lamp. The 20 Gallon tank is about 15.5 inches deep, so which light/heat source would work best for now and how far away should she be allowed to be from it? Also, if I can't find a MVB right away, the light/heat from the 20 gallon will be transferrred to the bigger tank. Any suggestions?

adams

Juvie Member
Well, the Beardie can't go without UV for a week, and an MVB would produce too much heat for a tank of that size. You're stuck with buying a UV Tube I'm afraid, as well as a starter unit/fixture. Repti-Glo 10.0 and the Repti-Sun 5/10.0 are recommended lamps. For a small tank you're looking at around £30 for the tube/starter - you may need a longer lamp in your new tank, which means splashing out on another starter/tube. Your Beardie should be able to get within 6 - 8" of the UV Tube.

You'll also need a ceramic lamp, a stat (pulse or on/off), as well as a basking lamp (house-hold spot bulb should do the trick).

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
CatalinValli":8ece8 said:
I have a 20 gallon tank for a younger beardie I am getting as a temporary home until I get paid next week and get a larger one. I was just wondering about temporary heat/lighting for her until next week, because when I get the bigger tank, I want to use a MVB if I can find one in the town I live in. I went and asked a few of the employees at a pet store and they couldn't give me one single answer. One kept saying I should use a 50W bulb and a small ceramic heater and another said I could just use a 50W Zoo Med Basking Spot Lamp. The 20 Gallon tank is about 15.5 inches deep, so which light/heat source would work best for now and how far away should she be allowed to be from it? Also, if I can't find a MVB right away, the light/heat from the 20 gallon will be transferrred to the bigger tank. Any suggestions?

If you're planning to upgrade and have beardie in a larger enclosure under an MVB by next week, then beardie is likely fine without UVB for that length of time. Beardies are usually fine for a week, or even two... can't put an exact number on it, but being that you'll be putting her under a MVB within days, I would go ahead and just use a basking bulb in the 20 gallon for now. I imagine a 60w basking would be sufficient for a 20 gallon (MAYBE a 75, you might need to experiment), or household incandescent or flood (floods tend to throw out more heat) should do the job. Just make sure to use a "digital with probe" thermometer to gauge the temps in the tank, especially in the basking area. They should be 105-110. And remember, when gauging with a probe, you want to leave the probe on the exact basking spot for 45 minutes to get an accurate temp. Other temps should be, mid-tank 85-90 and cool side, about 80.

As to the MVB, do beware that there have been some problems with the ZooMed PowerSun as of late, so I would avoid that bulb until the problem has been cleared up. Honestly, the best way to get a MVB is through an online resource, as you can get a quality unit for MUCH cheaper than in the store. The stores tend to drive up prices, and then only carry the lower UVB output types such as the PowerSun (above), and the Exo Terra Solar Glo, which are "good" bulbs (well, the PowerSun usually is), but not as high in UVB as say, the MegaRay (best) and the TRex (close second), good price here: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-heat-bulbs/503619/t-rex-active-uv-heat-flood-spot-lamps.html The MegaRay is available through only one source: http://www.reptileUV.com and believe is on back order at present. We use a TRex, and it is excellent. Our beardie has never been so healthy or eaten so well. :)

A couple of things I will mention about the MVBs, just in case you need. For a 40 gallon, you will want a 100w, and beardie should be NO CLOSER than 12 inches to the bulb (we get perfect basking temps at about 14-15 inches with the TRex). Also, you will want to use calcium withOUT D3 as the higher output of UVB with the MVB will allow beardie to start making D3 on his/her own.

The only thing I would caution while she is not under UVB this week, is that you may not see great appetite, and perhaps beardie might appear a tad lethargic. These are normal conditions of a lack of UVB. But as I say, if it's just temporary, it should be fine. And that you will be putting her under a MVB soon, she'll likely take off after that... they have a habit of helping beardie make up for lost time. In the meantime, keep beardie hydrated through bathing, offer food as usual 2-3 times per day, as many as beardie will eat in 10-15 minutes, and well, I think we've already covered the calcium and vites. :wink:

The best,
Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
adams":5742f said:
Repti-Glo 10.0 and the Repti-Sun 5/10.0 are recommended lamps.

Just a caution, the ReptiGlo 10.0 has been known to cause problems for beardies. Please see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=101703&p=793076&hilit=ReptiGlo+10.0#p793076 The only ReptiGlo recommended is the ReptiGlo 8.0, which is an ok bulb, discontinued, but still available in some places, in varying sizes.

The ReptiSun 10.0 is of course, the best tube UVB available (highly recommended), and the ReptiSun 5.0 is a decent bulb, but just OK in terms of UVB emission (much like the ReptiGlo 8.0).

The best,
Em

CatalinValli

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the help ^^ She will be in her larger tank no later then next Tuesday and I will keep her on the light system I have her on right now.
Today I ended up going to look at local pet stores to see what they carried for bulbs and if any had MVB (most pet store workers haven't even heard of them or even of a bulb that offers UVB, plus heat an light) but managed to find a small pet store that sold the Exo Terra Solar Glo. Are the only ways you can get the T-Rex and MegaRay ones off the internet? Because I have no means by which I can do internet orders.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
CatalinValli":ae275 said:
Are the only ways you can get the T-Rex and MegaRay ones off the internet?

The MegaRay yes... only available through the specialized website. The TRex, usually. It's a frustration that it's often difficult to find the high quality equipment in stores, however it's just as well, as the stores tend to mark them up, in some cases DOUBLE what what you would pay online. *sigh*

but managed to find a small pet store that sold the Exo Terra Solar Glo

The Solar Glo is a good bulb, a safe bulb. It doesn't throw out as much UVB and Heat as the MegaRay and TRex, but a good bulb none the less. Although I imagine through the store, you will be paying a good deal more for it, I certainly understand your dilemma. You will most likely need a supplemental heat bulb to boost for proper temps, a low watt is usually all that's needed, a 45w flood perhaps in a smaller dome to boost basking temps, or more "mid-enclosure" to keep the mid and cool side at proper temps. You will probably just need to experiment to find out what works, what set up gives you proper enclosure temps (see above).

Oh, a couple of other things I forgot to mention about the MVBs: because of the amount of heat/power they throw out, they require a 10 inch ceramic fixture, such as the deep dome, pictured here: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-light-fixtures/513264/zoo-med-repti-deep-dome-lamp-fixture.html and also, VERY important: MSBs tend to have a "burn in" period in that they will often run hotter each day for the first 3-4 days. We had perfect basking temps at 12 inches on the first day, but by the fourth, had to move the bulb up (alternatively, you can lower the basking surface) so that the distance was 14-15 inches, which has kept temps consistently correct at 105-110.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with! Good luck with setting up your new enclosure! :)

Em

CatalinValli

Original Poster
Thanks again ^^ I shall post photos of her new enclosure once I get it and set it up.

Oh ya, is it okay if she is given calcium with D3 when she is finally placed under the MVB? Because I haven't for some reason been able to find calcium without D3 around where I live o_O Maybe they are just out.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
CatalinValli":ee913 said:
Thanks again ^^ I shall post photos of her new enclosure once I get it and set it up.

Oh ya, is it okay if she is given calcium with D3 when she is finally placed under the MVB? Because I haven't for some reason been able to find calcium without D3 around where I live o_O Maybe they are just out.

I have only been able to find it online thus far, but I know some have been able to find it in store. I wonder if your local pet store would special order some for you? In general, because the MVBs have a higher output of UVB, beardies will begin producing D3 on their own, and while I'm not sure the exact amount of risk... there is at least some risk of D3 overdose, which can cause problems for beardie. I wish could give you more exact information there. The Solar Glo is not as strong as some with regard to UVB, so perhaps it wouldn't be too much of an issue. I'll tell you what, I'll PM a moderator and get her take. :)

If your multi-vites have D3 in them (many do), that's ok, because beardies require multi-vites only in light dose, 1-2 times per week... multi-vites have certain vitamins in them (Vit A, for one) that are easy to overdose on, so that's why only 1 - 2 per week for those.

I'll get back with ya, as soon as I find out something! :)

The best,
Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Catalin!

Here is a cut/paste of Tracie's PM back to me:

Hello Em,

Well, that is tricky. The Solar Glo is pretty decent & yes, it is a MVB so we normally do not recommend synthetic D3 with use of MVB's.
If calcium with D3 is all she can get then, I guess that will just have to be what she uses. So, let's try her at calcium with D3 4 times per week, & see how her dragon does on that. She will need monitor the urates as to the hardness & the consistency of them. Such as if they are too grainy, hard or discolorated, then she will need to back off to 3 days per week.
How old is her new dragon?

Tracie

So, to reiterate: try using your calcium with D3 4 (rather than 5) times per week, and see how dragon does (she lists some symptoms to be on the look out for that would be caused by too much D3). You may need to slow down to 3 times per week. In the meantime, keep an eye out for calcium without D3, and perhaps a good high calcium feeder such as phoenix worms.

And when you can get back to me as to age (and size) of your beardie, I'll relay that information to Tracie and see what she says. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps!

Em

ETA: Tracie came in and read over the thread, and in sensing that your dragon is very young, would be reticent to administer the calcium any less than 4 times per week (babies needs lots of calcium for those growing bones :) ), so let's hope that works out well for you.

CatalinValli

Original Poster
Sorry about the late reply here. Didn't have a computer for most of the weekend.

Yes, I have a very young dragon, only a few months old and about 6" long. I will moniter her for any of those symptoms and keep an eye out for any calcium without D3 in it. Thank you very much :D She is doing quite well since I got her ^^

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
CatalinValli":b3f49 said:
Sorry about the late reply here. Didn't have a computer for most of the weekend.

Yes, I have a very young dragon, only a few months old and about 6" long. I will moniter her for any of those symptoms and keep an eye out for any calcium without D3 in it. Thank you very much :D She is doing quite well since I got her ^^

You are most welcome. Enjoy your little dearie. :D

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom