Temporary housing...please advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have to go away for a week on the 11th May. My brother has said he can look after my Beardie for the week , but since he last looked after him, Freckles has got a new house - his viv has a cabinet attached so whereas in previous years my brother has taken the viv this year he can't. SO, as a temporary measure, would it be ok to keep Freckles in an indoor rabbit/guinea pig cage? I have a heat lamp set up that I can use.

Do you think he will be ok for a week? I really haven't the space, time nor money to get another viv, it is only a temporary measure...if not what else would you suggest?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It could work if you are certain that the beardie can't squeeze himself partway through the cage anywhere, or get himself caught on anything. You will want to experiment with the temps., beforehand, and will possibly need to cover part of the cage with cardboard or a towel to keep the heat in, depending on how much is produced and escapes. Newspaper will work for the flooring. Set your lights on top and have a basking area just like in his viv. That might work for you.

lilacgeorge

Original Poster
Thank you for your quick reply. I would be using a combined heat/uv lamp 100watt. I don't think he can squeeze through the bars (especially with his big belly!) I can see if it could be placed in a corner which would mean its enclosed on two sides by the walls. I could possibly cover it with a towel depending on the fire risk from the lamp?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
As long as the house is warm, the 100 watt bulb should be fine....but if you need to cover part of the cage, don't cover the light by any means. Just the sides and/or part of the top. You could also rig a temp. tank out of a large rubbermaid or similar storage bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom