Temperature Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
I just built Nero's Viv, for detail viewtopic.php?f=75&t=172702

I was using the 100W intense basking spot from Exo-terra but the foam insulation I made the rock walls from are a bit too efficient and the ambient temperature went up to 95F with the cave reading 85F and the basking spot read 130 on the edges and exceeded range on the center.
I then changed to a Zoo Med 75W Repti Basking Spot lamp bulb and the ambient temperature dropped to 80F with the cave dropping to 75F. The majority of the basking spot is now reading 110F but at the center, there is a spot while ranging that is 130F. This hot spot is about the size of a US Dime, less then an inch any direction the temperature drops to 110F - 115F.

The spot light is 12.5 inches above the surface of the basking spot at it's closest while pointed at a 72 degree angle. The basking spot is made of insulating foam board and sanded grout sealed with sealer and urethane coated in sand (not loose substrate).

The infrared temperature gun is the Ryobi IR001.

Should I worry about this or is this normal?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would try switching to just a normal house-held bright white incandescent/halogen instead of a spotlight.
You really don't want any area in your enclosure getting over 110 degrees, and that's one of the problems with the spotlight type bulbs, really strong in the center, then diffuses pretty fast.

-Brandon

RCope48

Man, incandescent bulbs are starting to get scarce, around here anyway, pet store bulbs are way overpriced, I looked at 3 different stores for a 100w, they have the 3 ways, but the highest wattage I found was 75w, then that goes up to a 150W clear bulb which is way too harsh of a light, I ended up using a 90W halogen flood with a dimmer control that seems to work pretty well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angiemeyer8561
Top Bottom