Temp help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Fred's cool side is 60 degrees, and her hot side is 70, I know these arent the right temps, so... Should I raise the wattage of my basking bulb because she's in a bigger tank now? It's a 60 watt bulb. I'm also looking into a CHE, as my room is pretty chilly at night.

She's in a 40gallon tank, with a reptisun 10.0 tube as uvb, and I can't remember what the basking bulb is, but it's a 60 watt, as mentioned before.

I know I need to raise the temps because she may not be able to digest her food properly.
I'm using a probe for the hot side. And for the cool side a stick-on(Please note; I'm aware of how bad stick-ons are. It's tempoary until I can take another trip to petsmart to get a probe.)

BigTime

Are you using a regular household type bulb? You are, you can get more directional heat using something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...ght-Bulb-2-Pack-429365/203231695#.UdtM7Pl9CSo

You might have to experiment with a different wattage, but I've heard others say this works for them with a dimming fixture. I'm still in process on my viv, but I have that bulb and my dimming fixture from fluker will be here tomorrow. I'll reply back with some more concrete info after I finish taking temp readings.

BigTime

Got my stuff in this morning and have had the lights turned on for about 4 or 5 hours now. I have a 36/18/18 exo terra and with the bulb I linked above in a 8.5 inch dimmable fixture I'm getting temps on my habba hut which I currently have set up for basking right at 105. I plan to elevate it an inch or two cause right now I have the bulb turned all the way up. This setup will be perfect for moving into adult life when temps need to be a little lower as well. On the cool side I'm using a regular shaped Phillips EcoVantage clear bulb, it's a 72w. This is putting my cool side temp at about 86 which is perfect.

I hope this helps you out!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are you using to measure temps?

It's really 60 degrees in your house?

-Brandon

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3o3nnbmy said:
What are you using to measure temps?

It's really 60 degrees in your house?

-Brandon
No. I meant in my beardie's tank.
As stated in the orignal post; I'm using a probe thermometer on the hot side, and the cool side a stick on-(I know how bad they are... I'm having a hard time getting to the petsmart... I cannot drive, so I need my parents to help me. :? )
hoopyscoop":3o3nnbmy said:
I'm using a probe for the hot side. And for the cool side a stick-on(Please note; I'm aware of how bad stick-ons are. It's tempoary until I can take another trip to petsmart to get a probe.)

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
BigTime":167k19u2 said:
Got my stuff in this morning and have had the lights turned on for about 4 or 5 hours now. I have a 36/18/18 exo terra and with the bulb I linked above in a 8.5 inch dimmable fixture I'm getting temps on my habba hut which I currently have set up for basking right at 105. I plan to elevate it an inch or two cause right now I have the bulb turned all the way up. This setup will be perfect for moving into adult life when temps need to be a little lower as well. On the cool side I'm using a regular shaped Phillips EcoVantage clear bulb, it's a 72w. This is putting my cool side temp at about 86 which is perfect.

I hope this helps you out!
Thank you! I'll show my mom that light after dinner.

Oh and claudiusx, my house is usually about 72 degrees. :wink:

disturb3d0n3

Juvie Member
Can always try adding a CHE to the cold side and perhaps getting the basking spot closer to the light? I had problems in the beginning getting my basking temp above 94 degrees, I got more rocks to get the basking spot closer to the light and that solved that! I was reaching 115! Hope this helps

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well thats what I'm saying, unless your house is 60 degrees, your cool side in the tank isn't going to be 60 degrees. Unless there is some hidden refrigerant on the cool side of your tank. Your cool side has to be at least 72 if your house is 72, it should be warmer since there is still some heat gradient coming off your hot end.

Kinda goes to show how inaccurate dials are.

-Brandon

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3s158ql5 said:
Well thats what I'm saying, unless your house is 60 degrees, your cool side in the tank isn't going to be 60 degrees. Unless there is some hidden refrigerant on the cool side of your tank. Your cool side has to be at least 72 if your house is 72, it should be warmer since there is still some heat gradient coming off your hot end.

Kinda goes to show how inaccurate dials are.

-Brandon
Yeah I know...

I told my mom we needed another thermometer with a probe for the cool side, but she just said something along the lines of; "why would we need another probe if we can just get a temp gun", but I don't think that's right, because I was told temp guns take the surface temp, and not the air temp, I'm saying this because I think we need the air temps on both sides, aswell as the surface temps.

While we're trying to fix her heat we added another 60 watt basking bulb, and that brought it up to 83 degrees on the hot side and 70 on the cool side. (Not that I believe the temps on the cool side....)

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I was just telling my mom about the suggestions I've been getting, and she told me it never went down to 60... I misunderstood her the other day, the tank cool side never went down to 60. I'm so sorry about that, I thought she had said 60 that day... Really sorry! I feel so silly now...

BigTime

The surface temps are what is important. Especially the basking surface temp since that is where your dragon is laying to get warm. When he's not basking, he'll be on the floor of the viv on the cool side. Get the surface temps good to go and the correct air temps will follow. A temp gun will work just fine for ya.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
BigTime":38287m50 said:
The surface temps are what is important. Especially the basking surface temp since that is where your dragon is laying to get warm. When he's not basking, he'll be on the floor of the viv on the cool side. Get the surface temps good to go and the correct air temps will follow. A temp gun will work just fine for ya.
I know I need surface temps aswell, but I wasn't so sure about having no probe on the cool side. Thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom