Temeraire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! New beardie owner here. My little guy Temeraire is just over two months old now and I've had him for two weeks. He's always been pretty good about being handled, but today when I put my hand in the tank he put his little hand on my thumb and after a few moments of consideration he jumped onto my hand! It was so adorable and it's the first time he has chosen to be handled I just had to share :) Here is a picture I took a few seconds after. He's sitting on my thumb the way he usually sits on the smallest branch of his tree (there are more appropriately sized branches, he just seems to like sleeping in precarious positions).

85333-3520460283.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Welcome & I'm so glad he's doing so well. Loved the picture! I just bought a 3-4 mo old, I called him Imp for Impulse and he is a little Imp now that he's feeling for comfortable. He came home with me in my coat and from there on, he's my best friend. He's not eating alot of bugs yet, I'm hoping that will change. Babies are interesting, aren't they?

Fay789

Original Poster
Do you have a picture of your little guy? He sounds adorable! They are certainly strange creatures as I'm learning. I honestly didn't expect him to be so smart. He seems to be able to tell faces apart and learns routines really quickly. Im feeding Tem reptiworms and he's eaten them really quickly since day one. What have you offered to Imp?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Dubia roaches and small super worms. I live in Canada and it's difficult to get them here. He's eating 2-5 a day, which isn't nearly enough, so I'm also feeding him Carnivore Care with bee pollen by syringe, which he loves. So he's gained 3g since Sunday. Here are some pictures:

First day after bath, his real colours. He can change from gray/black to these colours very quickly
11887-3291466916.jpg

First sleep, Sunday night:
11887-9945982885.jpg

Next day, waving at everything :lol: I thought he was going to harm his little arms
11887-9301879294.jpg
11887-4005002375.jpg

Monday, after eating the Carnivore Care, jumped on the bag, scared me to death :lol:
11887-2356696921.jpg

On his basking spot
11887-9336482500.jpg
11887-1813090653.jpg

Last night he was on my knee (after the adults were all alseep) and he jumped down and started running across the living room, so I showed him the beginning of the concrete steps leading up the ramp, where I have a UVB light. Well he ran up it and got onto the pillow at the top, licked the balcony window and stayed up there for 1/2 hr until it was almost bedtime. He enjoyed it as much as his brothers do :mrgreen:
11887-5276333368.jpg
11887-5141837485.jpg

Now you have to post more of your sweet little guy :D

Fay789

Original Poster
Those pics are so cute :) I love his coloring. Tem hasn't bobbed his head or waved his arms yet, maybe he's just too young. He did puff himself up once when I bent to pick him up. His tank is on the floor so usually I'm kneeling when I reach for him. This time I was standing and his stomach and beard inflated like a balloon! He was fine once I got more on his level though. I was inspired by Imp's Sunday night sleeping pose so here is a compilation of some of Tem's weird positions:

#1 the imaginary footrest
85333-6333857975.jpg

#2 the I've been impaled
85333-4911010955.jpg

#3 the waterfall
85333-217362615.jpg

#4 the "this is totally the easiest route, mom. Stop judging me"
85333-7686571651.jpg

Also as far as food goes I gave Tem a few silkworms yesterday and after a moment of confusion he quite liked them. I'm in Canada too! Ontario. I've been getting my worms from The Worm Lady in Windsor.

Also hi Sora! How old is your beardie?

SoraMiller

Hatchling Member
I love pic #4!
My beardie's a little more than a month old. She's already gotten a bit bigger.
Also did you name your beardie after the book series Temeraire?

Fay789

Original Poster
That's so exciting! They grow so quickly. I was in the pet store the other day getting silkworms and they had babies that were the size of my thumb from nose to tail. Do you have any pictures of Sierra?
Also yes I did! You're the first person to get that reference :) have you read that series?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wow, that is one great upward log that he seems to love to much, lucky Tem!

I got home last night & found Impy like this (this is his name now because he is really an imp, he's all over the place, guess he's feeling more comfy in his new home)
11887-2260618531.jpg
11887-6416966645.jpg

How this could possibly be comfy I have no idea, but I left him there like that anyway 'cause he was sound asleep.

I loved all the pics of Tem, he seems to love his tank. I have to re-do Impy's because he only uses one little spot on it. It's a 40 gallon breeder but was made for Leo, so next week I think I'll move things around a bit so he uses more of his tank.

I hope there are more pictures coming.

And I think babies that small shouldn't be in a pet shop, alot of them tend not to thrive, oh well, their problem but the breeder should let them be sold until they're at least 2-3 mo old. They're just in it for the $, I guess.

Fay789

Original Poster
Haha, that does not look comfy at all! I love the raised arm too. It looks like he fell asleep mid-stride.

Yeah Tem really loves his tank. It has made me more comfortable letting him roam (under eagle-eyed supervision of course, because I'm a paranoid new owner lol). If he's not asleep on me within 5min he will run back to his tank and try to get in.

I definitely wouldn't want to buy one that tiny. I would be paranoid of hurting it or it not being able to eat. Tem was the biggest one in the tank at the reptile store where I got him and he still seemed so little! I Here he is on his second day home snuggled into my hand.
85333-7517990861.jpg

And here he is now!
85333-7029739688.jpg

SoraMiller

Hatchling Member
No, I haven't read Temeraire, just know about it. Sweet name though!
Ya I do have a pic of Sierra. Here it is.
84810-4843324767.jpg

Fay789

Original Poster
Aww she looks so sweet :) That's a cool pattern. She looks almost spotty on her back.

Tem still needs to shed his middle, so right now his colors don't look as bright. Here he is proudly climbing over my stuffed animals.

85333-3835334443.jpg

Also somewhat unrelated, I watch the show Galavant, and I had Tem snuggling with me while I was watching the latest episode and at the very beginning they get a beardie (thinking its a real dragon)!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2oqUf9gvo

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That has gone viral on Facebook, I've seen it lots and the scenes where the dragon is held well, it's real, then the scenes where the dragon is tossed around a bit, it's fake. Very nice to see a human singing to a dragon, though.

So how big is Tem now, I measured Imp & he's 11 1/2" long and gained 3g to 66g yesterday.

I was just showing him other parts of his tank and a friend was telling me I have to get him some stuffies, so that's the next thing I want to do, get a couple to put around the tank so he can climb them. He's a bit intimidated by the size of the tank, is Tem & Sierra in 40 gallons? That's the only tank I had, Leo's old tank. I lost Leo 3 weeks ago from an abdominal tumour, he was 9 years old, so Imp adopted Leo's tank. I think it needs to be rearranged a bit, a friend is going to help me make it more baby friendly

Sierra is beautiful. I have a Cierra, too, she's 2 years and and brumating right now. I got her from a local reptile society almost a year ago, last Feb/15 and her brother Nathaniel the previous Dec/14. The other two dragons I have are Gabriel 5 yrs, also a rescue from the pet shop, he'd been abandoned by his owners and I brought him home the next day. He's my snuggle bug. And my other dragon is Castiel, he's almost 17 mo old and is my biggest dragon at 20" long and almost 600g and he's not quite finished growing yet.

SoraMiller

Hatchling Member
Wow that's a lot of dragons! Funny coincidence that our beardies' names our the same. I just wish there ages were too becuase I want my dragon big and plump! I guess I'll have to take the long route instead :lol: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom