Tegu Tale (Hope You Don't Mind)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe what happened this morning. I thought my tegu was gone forever. I had the tegu out this morning because I was going to quickly change his newspaper. I was on the bed for a second with him, something spooked him and he jumped on the floor and under the door before I had a chance to do anything. The door he went into leads to the 3rd bedroom which has a panel in the closet to access the bathroom plumbing. I came around from the other side and as I entered the room he went into the plumbing area.

I cut out dry wall in the bathroom just to see if he was under the tub. Then I realized the tub sits on floorboards and that he was actually under those floorboards. I had called a home inspector that we had used and he said that he thought it was a confined space under the tub. After an hour or so we started drilling through the floorboards trying to see what was under there and to see if we could get a gander of the tegu. What we found really brought me down. We realized that there was actually a series of parallel boards that ran through the ENTIRE house. He could have been anywhere. After 4 hours, I realized we had to give. We set up a heat lamp, and were about to set up food and a lamp that he could access, should he choose to come out. I REALLY REALLY thought it was over. I was balling my eyes out downstairs, feeling loss, wondering why the heck so much stuff is going wrong for me right now. All of a sudden Chris, my bf, said, "Honey, I have him." This was right after praying to God that a miracle happen (I am not religious but let's say I have more of a faith in God now). I just can't believe that he was just sitting there the whole time not making a peep under the floorboards. We are so lucky that he didn't run to the other end of the house.

If there could be a morale to this story for me, it's that now I know it is necessary to know my house inside out because I might not be so lucky next time. We are going to board up the entrance to the pipes, and make sure there are no gaps under the doors anymore or any open holes anywhere for that matter. I don't want to play with luck and fate anymore.

I think I may have a name for him/her now though...Lucky.

Tiantha

Hatchling Member
WOW...I know exactly how you feel. When 'Little Girl' Ball Python Female escaped in this 108 year old house I thought she also was gone forever. We don't have holes in the walls but there is space from 100+ years of settling that place flooring not touching walls all over the place.

I am soooo very glad you found your bundle of Tegu joy! And If i may suggest Lucky Fate would be a wonderful name for EITHER sex. Make your call name 'Lucky' if a boy and "Fate" if a girl.

KISS on the Cheek from a fellow sympathetic Mom who has cried under similar circumstances. And a pat on your BF back for being there, being calm and coming up with the prize. You may count three blessings right there. The Safe Tegu being two and the BF who stuck to it while you tore the house apart.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Oh wow I cant imagine how upset you mustve been.
Thank god that lucky little one is back home x

awww .. that sux ;[ .. i'm glad you found your lil one! let's hope ur extra precautions prevent something like that in the future .. i guess i should check my house then cuz i let Froggy run around a lot lol ..

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Tiantha":c5226 said:
WOW...I know exactly how you feel. When 'Little Girl' Ball Python Female escaped in this 108 year old house I thought she also was gone forever. We don't have holes in the walls but there is space from 100+ years of settling that place flooring not touching walls all over the place.

I am soooo very glad you found your bundle of Tegu joy! And If i may suggest Lucky Fate would be a wonderful name for EITHER sex. Make your call name 'Lucky' if a boy and "Fate" if a girl.

KISS on the Cheek from a fellow sympathetic Mom who has cried under similar circumstances. And a pat on your BF back for being there, being calm and coming up with the prize. You may count three blessings right there. The Safe Tegu being two and the BF who stuck to it while you tore the house apart.

How'd you guy her out? Yeah, it was a real overwhelming feeling. Thanks for the kind words =)

Tiantha

Hatchling Member
We took apart the closet didn't find her and put out a heating pad a hide area and a lamp out. Between disturbing the area she was hiding in....and then the sudden quiet I caught her out and about when I peeked in to check the hide and found her heading for her old cage.

Thanks for asking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom