Target Training Beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I'd like to get Norman target trained for the summer, but I'm not so sure on how to get started. I know the main idea is positive reinforcement, mainly through food, and that's where my trouble begins. Norman isn't very food motivated and isn't a very enthusiastic eater. He will only eat like ever other or third day and nothing inbetween. How can I encourage him when he won't take treats?
(for those of you not sure what target, or mark, training is it's when you have a marker, say a piece of black tape on the end of the stick, and when you put the mark on the ground and say mark they will go and touch their nose to the mark.)

Another thing I'd like to do, but I'm not sure if it's possibe, is to train him to give into pressure on the leash. Bsically, when I pull he'll walk toward me.

Thanks for you're help!

Repkyle

Me to, had no idea they are capable of "mark" training. Sounds cool if its possible, I'm in for the answers :)

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
How does your beardie respond to sound? You could try a clicker or chime or something like that. You could also try a larger variety of foods, wax worms, strawberries. Anything and everything. I had a dog who wasn't food motivated. He didn't have that desire to please in him at all really. Never did teach him to do much. He knew things, just didn't care much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom