Tank nerves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowsersDad

I've handled my beardie daily for 8 years straight. He's of very calm temperament, I can even hand him off to complete strangers without any reaction other than tasting them to make sure they're not food. In the last couple months, however, work and school have gotten the best of me. The little bit of time I am home, I'm usually eating, doing homework, or sleeping. I do my best to stay in the same room as him, but at this point I'm down to handling him 3-4 days a week (probably for the best, he's getting on in years). Now, when I do handle him, he's still the well-tempered little ball of scales I've always known. The issue is, whenever I try to put him back in his tank, he struggles and thrashes. He's even gone to the point of running straight up my bare forearm straight to the back of my t-shirt. Is there any way I can reinforce more positive responses to the end of handling time, especially considering how old he is?

Tonja

BD.org Addict
When you try to put him back in his tank, is it time for his lights to out? Is so try a nice soft hand towel or small blanket and wrap him in it about 15 mins before you put him back. Snuggle him and let him get sleepy or do the little butt wiggle as he settles down, once he is calm and settled gently put him in his tank and let him sleep wrapped up. This may help. I do this every night with both of mine. I think being wrapped up gives them a sense of security.

lexus465

Juvie Member
You could also try giving him a bit of his favorite food? A treat worm or something? It might help...

BowsersDad

Original Poster
Tonja":2s3yllko said:
When you try to put him back in his tank, is it time for his lights to out?

Not usually. I don't usually take him out at night so he has time to relax and snuggle up by his heating pads.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Please be careful using heating pads/rocks as beardies do not feel heat from underneath, they lack the heat sensing nerves underneath that a lot of others have. Beardies feel heat from above and many have been burned by those heating pads and heat rocks. They don't feel they are being burned till its to late. Some have even gotten full thickness burns and subsequent infections due to it.

BowsersDad

Original Poster
Tonja":1o9yozc5 said:
Please be careful using heating pads/rocks as beardies do not feel heat from underneath, they lack the heat sensing nerves underneath that a lot of others have. Beardies feel heat from above and many have been burned by those heating pads and heat rocks. They don't feel they are being burned till its to late. Some have even gotten full thickness burns and subsequent infections due to it.

The heating pads are on the side and back of the tank, giving him a warm corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom