Tang refuses to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

elisabaker

Hatchling Member
Tang hasnt eaten any superworms in the last 3 weeks. He eats some of his greens every other day or so. He is only pooping like once a week in these last 3 weeks. He seems to be acting normal otherwise. He walks around his cage and goes to different places to thermoregulate like usual. When I give him his bath he drinks the water. He's about 10 months old. He seems kinda cranky when I pet him now. He doesnt seem to sleep longer than normal but sometimes he goes under his basking platform where it's dark before his lights go out. Normally he wouldnt go under there until his lights went out. My temps are all good still. I think maybe he is starting to brumate?

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
It could be the start of brumation. I would suggest investing in a scale if you haven't already. If he doesn't lose much weight over the next little while despite not eating, chances are good that it's brumation (during brumation the dragon's who system slows down and requires much less to keep it running). If he does start losing weight, then it's probably something behavioural or health related. This way you can have a bit of peace of mind despite his odd behaviour. Hope this helps.

jharris08

Juvie Member
sounds like he might be slowing down for some type of brumation cycle. As long as he doesnt start losing a lot of weight or acting reallly weird then he is most likely fine. Just keep a close eye on him. If it is brumation he could stay like this for a couple months. Decrease the photoperiod (amount of time the lights are on) and this will help him get more sleep if that is what he is wanting.

patrickb

Juvie Member
Another thing to consider is how old is your UVB light? It may be at the end of it's life cycle and need to be replaced. If you have the flourescent tube style, they should be replaced I think every 6 months. MVB bulbs are recommended to be replaced every 12 months.

elisabaker

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
patrickb":c9a40 said:
Another thing to consider is how old is your UVB light? It may be at the end of it's life cycle and need to be replaced. If you have the flourescent tube style, they should be replaced I think every 6 months. MVB bulbs are recommended to be replaced every 12 months.
I use a MegaRay which I got in April.

elisabaker

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I ordered some hornworms and it turns out Tang is just being picky and doesnt want superworms anymore. I put a hornworm in front of him and he gobbled it up. Then I put a superworm and he turned his nose at it and backed up like he was saying "you expect me to eat that crap?" Now i just gotta wait till the hornworms get bigger so he gets more meat in one worm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom