Taming a newly adopted, fully grown beardie? (Resolved!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonism

Hi everyone! It has been a while since I've posted here; I mostly come online to lurk or check things out. Recently, I have taken in a rather large, roughly 4 year old adult beardie from a good person who was a friend of my coworker. She was very nice and provided me with everything I needed, except the tank (it was a 75 gallon and I had no place to put it) so for now he is temporarily set up in a smaller tank while we work on finder a more ideal one.

So heres the thing; I've already got another beardie who is named Jupiter. I was originally planning to maybe get a female in the future. The owner had assumed that her beardie was female the whole time but a quick peek under the tail showed that he was VERY MUCH male! Which I have no problems with! He's a great guy! He was nice and let me hold him, he was chill, and he was tame. I've decided to call him Venus. Unfortunately, I think Jupiter may have intimidated Venus when I brought him home because when I tried to take him out this morning, he acted very aggressive toward me. His mouth was gaping, he didn't like the fact that I wanted to hold him (although he didn't squirm or struggle), and he did bite me. I shook it off and began talking to him. He doesn't seem like he wants to hurt me, but I think he feels provoked or vulnerable due to Jupiter's presence. He has never been around other dragons, is what I was told but he has a bobbed tail so I'm skeptical. His tank is located across the room from Jupiter, who might I add is much smaller than he is, but he keeps picking a fight with Venus. So for now, I put Venus back, took a shirt I was wearing all day the other day and put it right on top of his basking tree, and now I'm letting him chill. I covered up part of his tank so that he and Jupiter can't see each other. But the thing is, they'll have to get used to each other's presence since both must stay in my room. Will they eventually? Should I just be patient/persistent with Venus and ignore Jupiter so that he knows I'm friend and not foe? Should I scold Jupiter for instigating at all or just ignore him? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

2l3px9X.jpg

Here is a picture of Venus~

FZfPJg1.jpg

And here is Jupiter the instigator.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, he is a beautiful boy. :) Unfortunately all dragons can become agitated upon seeing another one. especially males. He is VERY stressed by this, adult males will constantly want to fight or mate with the other dragon so you simply can not have them in view of each other. It's possible that the extreme behavior can lessen over time but for now it's all day stress for these dragons. Best thing would be to move one to another room.

Dragonism

Original Poster
Alright thanks! It looks like Venus has calmed down since this morning, and he has gone on to completely ignoring Jupiter. He even ate his salad and allowed me to hand feed him. Jupiter however keeps trying to instigate but Venus hasn't responded to his advances. I believe I'm going to cover all sides of Venus tank (except for the front) when I get him a bigger tank so that Jupiter can't see him. They are diagonally across from each other, not directly across so. I put a towel on one side of Venus tank and that looks like it calmed down some of the aggression. So for right now, Jupiter is the only one having a problem. :lol: If it gets any worse, I'll see about moving one to another room. :D Is there anything else I should know?

EDIT: Actually, would stacking their vivs on top of each other help? I'm in a situation where I can't move one of them right now due to some home issues. My mom has become recently widowed and the rest of the house that isn't my room is... a mess basically. I'm willing to buy a couple of stacked tanks that open from the front if that would be better.

Dragonism

Original Poster
WOW SO GUESS WHO CAME UP WITH AN AWESOME SOLUTION FOR THIS? ME THATS WHAT.

PileJZB.jpg

7TBg22z.jpg

Instead of dishing out money to buy another tank or setup to stack these guys, or moving to another room, I decided to just buy some tinted film to put over Jupiter's tank! And it solved everything! I can see him just fine, but he cant see very well with the tint, and he completely stopped harassing Venus! :D It only costs about $20. Good idea for anyone who might have this same issue! :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom