Taking Yoshi to the vet tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmeg

Hello everyone. Yoshi is going to the vet tomorrow. His right eye has been weepy/goopy for about a week now and is not getting any better. It actually looked a little worse today and was crusted shut. I don't think it is terrible, but it is obviously uncomfortable so we are going to see if we can make him feel better. I had been cleaning out the goopy stuff on the edge with a q tip, but the eye always seemed more irritated afterward so I quit the last two days to see if a hands-off approach would help. He is still active, playful, and eating with no signs of an upper respiratory infection so I am thinking he either has something in it or he scratched it. It started when he was in his old viv. He has a reptisun 10 tube ubv and a regular household bulb for heat so I don't think lighting is causing the issue. Hoping this is an easy fix.

Musicmeg

Original Poster
The eye looks a little better this morning. A little watery, but not goopy. He does appear to be shedding around his eye so maybe the irritation was from that. I will keep an EYE :lol: on it the next couple of hours to see if it gets goopy again, but I may cancel his appointment.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Maybe it had a bit of shed or something in it. If it keeps looking irritated [ while you keep an EYE on it :) ] you can put some unpasteurized honey in it. [ like from a health food store ] Add 2 parts warm water, that helps soften it... and apply lightly with a Q-tip or from an eyedropper. It's a natural antimicrobial. Hopefully he'll just continue to improve.

Musicmeg

Original Poster
I ended up taking him anyway. Vet thinks it may be the beginnings of an upper respiratory and gave me some antibiotic eye drops. Hopefully this will do the trick. Hate seeing the little guy close his watery eye all the time.

Musicmeg

Original Poster
AHBD, thank you for the suggestion on using honey. I actually did try it a few days ago, but must have done it wrong because it looked like I glued his eye shut when it dried a bit. Hopefully the eye drops will do well. He seems to look a little more comfortable.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your'e welcome.....sorry it didn't work in your case. It sounds like you needed to add a bit more water but I can imagine you didn't want to get his eye stickied up. :shock: Hopefully [ and probably ] the eye ointment will work. But the honey does work well, it just needs to be thinned out some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom