Taking them outside their cage/home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
I know a lot of people let their beardies run around the house/lay on the couch with them, and my sister said she knew someone who had a beardie and I guess he took it everywhere with him... How long can beardies be out of their enclosure, without their heat or UV light? I've been afraid to play with my dragon outside of his cage because I'm afraid he'll get cold or get sick or not stay warm enough to digest his food properly or something. When he's in his cage he's almost constantly basking, so he's used to being very warm... The longest I've had him out of his cage was when I had to take him to the vet, and that was probably only 45 minutes or an hour.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
well it depends on the weather, but anywhere from 20 min to all day. As long as they have 2 hours to digest food, they should tell you when their too cold (go dark snuggle down) As for UVB if your outside they will be getting plenty from the sun, but if shes in the house she stays out for 2-3 hours tops!

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
I take mine EVERYWHERE!! LOL I have a cute pink carrier for her, and she goes in the car with me when I go out, she will go shopping with me, I take her for walks,etc.

She is 15 months old.

I do make sure it's warm out if I do this...at least in the 70's and sunny. She absolutely LOVES it, and has not gotten sick from it.

Even in the evening I will take her outback with me. She stays warm by being on me, and sometimes I will wrap a blanket on her...just like a baby. LOL

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks! I think I might wait til my baby is bigger before I start taking him outside or anywhere.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I decided to let Vash hang out with me while I was playing video games and he was okay with that, he seemed a little nervous but he was okay.... Then my phone rang and he freaked out and ran all over the place and tried to jump off the couch and I had to catch him in midair.... O_O Scared me to death. I'm still shaking. I was afraid I'd hurt him but he seems okay...

Dragonpuff

Mine is still a little one...about 7 inches long, and I take him into the bathroom with me because its the smallest room in the house, without many places to hide and minimal interruptions. I turn the heat light on once a day and sit on the floor with him, feeding him fruit or veggies, and talking. I'll be taking him out more once he gets bigger, but for us, this works for now. Maybe you'll be more comfortable doing something similar? :D

robson0587

Ozzie is 9" or so and i take him out a few times a day for about a half hour or so. He loves it. I let him run around where ever he wants to go, as long as i can see him. He always go right for the big front window so he can stare outside. He hates when i put him back inside the cage, tries crawling up my shirt. Just the other day i took him outside in the grass cuz it was in the mid 80's. It almost looked like he had a smile on his lil beardie face. :D i had a box so i put him in there with a shallow dish filled with water, kinda like a pool for him so i could lay out with the girlfriend and get some rays myself. We loved it. But i didn't like how i couldnt see him and he couldnt see anything but up so i took him out and put him on my belly and he stayed for a good twenty mins...then all the sudden he took off and went running away. i flipped out and tried to catch him but he wiggled out of my grip and then DISAPPEARED into the siding of my apartment :cry: i was scared i wouldnt get him back and that he found a hole and went deep into the dark abyss. so i frantically searched for him and saw he was stuck between the siding and cement. Got him out and started yelling at him never to leave me again and put him back inside his crib. so the moral of the story is...DONT let your beardie have to much freedom because they will find a way to escape. I am going to build an outdoor enclosure so i can put him outside when im out there working on/in the car or lying out in the sun or for when i got somewhere i can take him with me.

sorry for such the long semi-pointless story. kinda bored at the moment. HAHA

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Mine is still a little one...about 7 inches long, and I take him into the bathroom with me because its the smallest room in the house, without many places to hide and minimal interruptions. I turn the heat light on once a day and sit on the floor with him, feeding him fruit or veggies, and talking. I'll be taking him out more once he gets bigger, but for us, this works for now. Maybe you'll be more comfortable doing something similar?
Thing is, I live in a tiny apartment and there isn't really anywhere that is beardie-proof. We have very little open, unused floor space. I suppose I could try to beardie-proof the bathroom or maybe the kitchen (use cardboard to block areas I don't want him to get to?) but I'm not sure I would trust him enough to just let him run free, and I honestly don't know if he would even enjoy it. When I did take him out and give him free reign of the couch area, he sat still on my stomach and looked scared most of the time. But, I guess I'll try it. He needs a change of scenery once in a while. I'm also worried to let him run around on the floor, because he likes to lick things, and even though I would obviously clean the floor before letting him run around, he already has worms so I really don't want him to go lick something up that would make him sicker...

sorry for such the long semi-pointless story.
Haha, it's okay, I love stories.

robson0587

if he has worms, i personally would not let him run around the house until they are gone. i would think it would spread throughout the house but thats just a guess. and my guy was scared at first but once he knew he could run....it became a fun cat and mouse game for him and me. try putting him in front of a window with the screen open if you can and the sun comig thru, i bet he'll love it. oh and a side note... watch him jumping from high places. my guy has took some leaps of faith, lucky nothing happened from them but still could hurt the little guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom