Tail rot????

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilred6

108939-3480129400.jpg
Hi everyone!! So my beardie panini has been in shed for the past few weeks. I’ve noticed her tail has been quite dark for the past 2 days. I adopted her from pet smart and her tail was nipped by another beardie but I didn’t adopt her until it was healed. She already shedded her tail but I’m very worried that something might be wrong or if this is normal?? It usually isn’t this dark, (only at the tip where it healed is usually dark but very little bit). I have her under a reptisun T5HO 10.0 UVB and her basking spot is typically 98-102 degrees. She’s around 5 months old and idk if it’s relevant but I feed her escarole as a lil salad and about 16 Dubias (8 around noon, 8 in the evening) a day. She’s very active and attentive and poops normal so idk what it really could be. I’ll post pics below. Any input is helpful ?
108939-9324999209.jpg

lilred6

Original Poster
Claudiusx":2iw3jkg1 said:
No tail rot there :)
Their tails can darken for multiple reasons.

-Brandon
Even if it’s dark underneath?? (I just posted another pic of underneath the tail)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup.

31715-5315523562.jpg

Here is one of mine. She is perfectly fine. Tails can darken just like beards can darken. Hers darkens like that when she is out exploring and alert, and goes back to normal when she's back in her tank. As long as she isn't stressed.

Point of that is to just show that tails can look MUCH darker than yours and still be fine.

Tail rot is an infection. It should really just be called a wound infection, because that's what it is. Unless there is an open wound there, or the tip just recently fell off and you saw the darkness traveling up it, it's not tail rot.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=256106

Here is a recent example of a dragon here who actually does have a bit of tail rot going on. And the only reason it got tail rot in the first place is because the wound wasn't kept clean when the tail got nipped, which allowed infection to set in. Much like what would happen if you or I got a cut that we didn't keep clean.

-Brandon

lilred6

Original Poster
Claudiusx said:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=256106

Here is a recent example of a dragon here who actually does have a bit of tail rot going on. And the only reason it got tail rot in the first place is because the wound wasn't kept clean when the tail got nipped, which allowed infection to set in. Much like what would happen if you or I got a cut that we didn't keep clean.

-Brandon

I see now. Definitely no cuts on her tail. That rlly put my mind at ease thank you so much for the help!! ✨

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom