Tail Rot?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey so my Bearded Dragon has just finished shedding a couple of a days ago and I've noticed most his tail has turned this darkish grey colour. After researching online I'm panicking about this being tail rot and if it is tail rot I need to know how to treat it. The problem is that there is no vet nearby that knows about reptiles and so I don't want to be traveling miles because of my unnecessary worrying (I've also seen less dangerous causes for this tail colouring).

I haven't noticed any changes in behaviour or appetite.

Here's a picture I took a few minutes ago:
qY2I7Hb.jpg

Does anybody know if this is serious or not?!

NikTait

Hatchling Member
Hi there,

We just underwent the same scare with our dragon, Dexter. We were told to try betadine solution - you can compare the pictures and advice here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=191773

Since your beardie is so young, he is very likely to shed a lot - even back to back is possible. If you're worried that there may be some issues, try a betadine solution or try zoo med shedding aid. We bought some today and applied it once or twice and by tonight, the worrisome tail shed had come off. I really wouldn't worry - that looks very normal, and if there is any darkening it could simply be natural colouration or retained shed. Do you know if he definitely shed that part of his tail? If he did, he could either be coming into shed again, or simply changing colour.

Try the shedding aid or betadine solution and keep a close eye on it - if it's getting worse or the tail itself is becoming hard or less flexible, then you really might want to see about a vet. But first just try soaking it and using the solutions to see if any shed needs help coming off. Otherwise your little guy/girl might just be changing colour with age.

From the picture, it really doesn't look dark enough to be of concern :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....like was mentioned that is definitely not tail rot. You don't need any special treatment at all, Betadine is to treat wounds + possible infection, so you don't need to use it in your case. Just a bath every other day and a quick full body spritz once a day will be fine.

FatherOfDragons

Original Poster
What a relief!

The thing is I already do bathe him at least 4 times a week and when he's shedding I do it almost every day. How long should I wait before this becomes a concern and I should try betadine solution?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There's nothing to worry about...if you want to buy some shed - aid it's fine, but Betadine is a heavy duty medicine for infections, no need for it at all. I've seen 1,000's of sheds from my own beardies....that is perfectly normal. :)

NikTait

Hatchling Member
It really depends - if you definitely feel like it is retained shed (e.g. if he has just shed and it hasn't come off, or if you think he is coming back into shed) then you can give the shedding aid or some mineral oil - it'll just loosen the skin a bit and if it is a 'bad' shed then it should sort it pretty quick, especially in a young beardie. If you feel like his tail is only getting darker and harder, then it's probably best to come back here and seek more advice. But to be honest, it really does just look like normal shedding.
Do you feel like it's just a darkened colour, or can you see a sort of... boundary line where it starts? As in, if it is retained shed, there's usually quite a distinct good skin part and bad skin part. Maybe if you could provide some clearer pictures?
It definitely does not look urgent though. It really could even just be natural changes in colour. But is most likely just natural shed that's maybe still waiting or even just coming into it again :)

FatherOfDragons

Original Poster
I think there is a sort of distinct line. He's asleep in his viv now so I don't want to disturb him to take more pictures (he seems to hate my phone when it comes near him lol). I'll get some shedding aid I think and use it if it gets any darker. He has just come out of shed and is very young so I suppose I am worrying too much.

Thanks everyone, I'll make sure I consult here again if I notice it getting worse :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom