Tail rot treatment with Betadine gone wrong??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomjom

The tip of my Beardie's tail fell, but since it didnt seem like a big deal I thought I could take care of it myself.. I looked online and saw that using diluted betadine and Polysporin were a good treatment, I tried it for a week and didnt see any improvement, so I made the dumb choice and used a little more concentrated solution of betadine... Woke up this morning to find that the part of the tail I soaked became dark, definitely damaged her scales?.

What am I supposed to do now? The Vet isnt available for a couple weeks, and I'm really worried.

Gail

BD.org Addict
It doesn't look infected or inflamed, first thing I would do is soak in water and see if the darkness washes away so you can get a good look at the scales.
Try to get a good up close pic once its clean.

Jomjom

Original Poster
Gail":2basxfyr said:
It doesn't look infected or inflamed, first thing I would do is soak in water and see if the darkness washes away so you can get a good look at the scales.
Try to get a good up close pic once its clean.

I treated her tail with honey and left it for a few hours, then I gave her little soak just to wash off some of the honey.
I hope these closeups help.
111449-4371640938.jpg
111449-1971658897.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That doesn't look too bad & appears to be healing up. How long has the tail looked darker
& was it injured or has it just had some trouble shedding?
I would continue to keep it clean & using the raw, unpasteurized honey on it daily. Let us know
how things are coming along.

Tracie

Jomjom

Original Poster
Drache613":1w82a568 said:
Hello,

That doesn't look too bad & appears to be healing up. How long has the tail looked darker
& was it injured or has it just had some trouble shedding?
I would continue to keep it clean & using the raw, unpasteurized honey on it daily. Let us know
how things are coming along.

Tracie

Very glad to hear this!
I believe it's been this dark for a couple years now... I didnt pay too much attention to it up until it started literally falling apart (I held on to the belief that the tip of beardie's tails are generally darker).
As for what caused it, I'm unfortunately unsure. But a thing I should note is that she also suffers from stunted growth, perhaps that's the reason for this?

Edit: should I keep using betadine? Did I hurt her with it or am I just freaking out for no reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom